Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo P3 Owners
Quote | Reply
What kind of rear wheel do you race with? I just purchased a P3, and I have an almost new Zipp Sub 9 that I will not be using on the bike. I've heard about rubbing on the chainstays with people over 170lbs. (I'm 170) and do not want to chance it. What wheel do you recommend? Mostly flat courses, Oly and .5 IM's.

Also, I will be selling my almost new 09 Zipp Sub 9--$1100 without tire and skewer, $1200 with.

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [surfslacker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it the width of the disc that causes problems, or the flex? Would a zipp 1080 work on a P3?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he wasn't speaking to fitment issues, he was saying aerodynamically the flat discs are faster on that frame due to the close, extensive rear wheel coverage of the seat tube.

I believe the chain stay clearance issue is due to width though with bulgy discs

if you liked your zipp I would just trade it for a flat one!

In Reply To:
Is it the width of the disc that causes problems, or the flex? Would a zipp 1080 work on a P3?

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I spoke with Zipp last fall when I was looking at a new rear wheel. The clearance issues come from the normal manufacturing variation of the chain stay width. That's why some people have fit issues and some don't have any problems. I would say since you own it, try it and see if it fits, and how much clearance you have on each side to make your decision

FWIW, I ride a 58cm P3 with a Zipp 900 Clincher disc with out any issues. I also tried a 1080 Clincher (which is narrower than the tubie version, but is still listed as a potential "fit problem wheel"), also without any fit issue.

Fraser Bicycle | First Endurance

Check out my blog here | Twitter:@tmalis3
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [Tom3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ride my '09 P3C with a Zipp 1080 (no PowerTap) and a Kinlin 30 (PowerTap)with disc cover. I am thinking about getting a Zipp 808 Firecrest with a PowerTap to use on both my '09 S3 and my P3 with a disc cover.

--

Straightenin' the curves; Flattenin' the hills
------------------------------------------------------------
Coached by Mike Plumb @ TriPower MultiSports
https://www.strava.com/athletes/1149072 - https://www.instagram.com/thoswoods/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What kind of rear wheel do you race with? I just purchased a P3, and I have an almost new Zipp Sub 9 that I will not be using on the bike. I've heard about rubbing on the chainstays with people over 170lbs. (I'm 170) and do not want to chance it. What wheel do you recommend? Mostly flat courses, Oly and .5 IM's.

Also, I will be selling my almost new 09 Zipp Sub 9--$1100 without tire and skewer, $1200 with.

Thanks.

I have used both a Sub 9 and a Super 9 on my P3. They both fit fine although the Super 9 had a bit more clearance. I weigh 180.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used a sub 9. Here is a photo and review of my bike with a photo of me on it climbing The Beast at St. Croix 70.3. No wheel rub:

http://www.bikesportmichigan.com/features/toms_p3c.shtml

A. SRAM Red 10-speed carbon fiber bar end shifters.

B. SRAM Red carbon fiber brake levers.

C. Blackwell Research Wrist Relief carbon fiber aero extensions, custom cut-down.

D. Pro Missile carbon fiber base bars, 42 cm wide.

E. Pro Thor Hushovd stem, 120mm, 10 degree rise.

F. Selle San Marco Zoncolan Triathlon titanium rail saddle.

G. Zero Gravity NG-Ti brake calipers.

H. Zipp Sub-9 tubular disk wheel.

I. SRAM Red 11-26 cogset.

J. SRAM Red rear derailleur with ceramic bearing pulleys.

K. SRAM Red 110mm B.C.D. compact crankset, 175mm with 50/34 chainrings.

L. Time RXS Carbon Pedals

M. SRAM Black Box ceramic bearing bottom bracket.

N. Zipp 808 tubular 80mm deep front wheel.

O. Continental Sprinter Gatorskin 700 X 22mm tubular (sew-up) tires.

P. Cateye Strada Wireless Cyclometer.

Q. New 3T Funda Pro carbon fiber aerodynamic fork.

R. SRAM Red front derailleur.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's good to know. I guess I'll give it a shot and see what happens. It's a great wheel, I just don't want to screw it (or my p3) up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

Could you give me some advice about disc/lenticular wheels for actual P3?

Which ones have you mounted?

Thank you in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [7summits] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7summits wrote:
In Reply To:

Thanks.

I have used both a Sub 9 and a Super 9 on my P3. They both fit fine although the Super 9 had a bit more clearance. I weigh 180.

Out of interest what width of tyre did you have on the Super 9 ?
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [lsantomr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lsantomr wrote:
Hi all,

Could you give me some advice about disc/lenticular wheels for actual P3?

Which ones have you mounted?

Thank you in advance!
Do you have a classic P3 with the curved seat tube, or a new P3? This thread is from 2010, so it was for a classic P3.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [Anton Chigurh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton Chigurh wrote:
7summits wrote:
In Reply To:

Thanks.

Out of interest what width of tyre did you have on the Super 9 ?

I also have a super 9 and P3 without any issue. I always use 25mm Conti
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [Plissken74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. What size is the frame ? I am looking at a 2nd hand 48
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo P3 Owners [Anton Chigurh] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Anton Chigurh wrote:
Great. What size is the frame ? I am looking at a 2nd hand 48

51cm
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd say definitely try it and see how much clearance you have. I use a Super 9 with 25mm GP 4000s and no issues. I did have to move the set screws back 1-2mm so that the tire didn't rub but once I did that I have no issues.
Quote Reply