Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25
Quote | Reply
How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25 [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a pretty decent week!
Run - WIN! - 38.4 miles, six runs. 6.6, 6.4, off, 6.6, 6, 6, 7.
Swim - WIN! - 1500, 2600, 1800. Met the "swim 3x" goal :-)
Bike - oops :-) didn't do any
Hip exercises - CLOSE- did them 3 times; goal had been four
[Additional - walking miles were a little over 12 for the week: two walks with friends (6, 3) and walking as cooldown to running)
Eating - CLOSE! - had six good days! goal was a whole week

I'll come back later with goals for this week and I'd like to ask for some support with the eating stuff; I had a stressful day with it yesterday.
If I manage a whole week of doing well (eating enough or close to enough; no purging though that actually hasn't been an issue for awhile!) I am buying myself FLOWERS. That is the current external motivation.

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 25, 10 1:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:

- try to run 3 times. i don't really care how long or how fast, just need to get back out there. WIN! even did an AWESOME trail run yesterday, finding a hidden gem of technical single track in town!
- 2 core workouts: WIN! actually sort of did 4 core/strength/stretch workouts
- maybe hit the pool: nope. toe was not sufficiently healed.
- some easy cycling to spin my legs out a bit: FAIL. toe didn't feel good in shoes, and my cycling shoes fit too snug to even consider it. that's 2 weeks now with no cycling, and i'm getting cranky!
- RECOVER for the horror hill 6-hour ultra on oct 30th!
semi-fail. yesterday's trail run was much more taxing than i had really wanted and aggravated my right foot and ankle, but it was way too much fun! i'll take it very easy this week to get everything as healed as i can.

this week's goals:

- run tuesday & thursday, keeping it very easy and short
- core/stretch/strengthen workouts tonight & wednesday
- get lots of sleep
- make my distance goal at the 6 hour ultra on saturday without getting hurt!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Nice work tc, and hang in there ms.k - let that toe heal properly (trust me on this one - you don't want a "big stinky" like I ended up with after recurring trauma from soccer)

Last week's goals:
- Run 4x (2 with dawg, 1 aerobic, 1 hills or intervals) => UBER-DONE! Ended with 6 runs actually (6k ez with dawg, 8k intervals with dawg, 16k tempo with dawg, 8k aerobic, 11k hills and even a 30min off the bike) and feelin' great!
- Ride 1x (3-4hr tempo) => did 2hrs of hard intervals on the trainer (absolutely pissing out on Sun) so I'm going to call this a DONE.
- Swim 2x (2000m steady; 1000m steady then drills + hypoxic swimming) => Only swam once as I skipped the second session to take the dawg to K's school for show and tell - that was a lot of fun and definitely worth skipping the swim so FAIL but OK.
- Stick to the diet (already down ~7lbs in 3 weeks, right on target) - ultimate goal is another 5lbs off for race day. => Done, except last night when I hit the pub for snax... ;-)

This week's goals:
- Last big week before Silverman so.... STAY HEALTHY & UNINJURED - that means stopping or easing up if I feel any twinges or yoinks... the piriformis is feeling tight already, try to deal with that...
- Run 4x (2x35min easy aerobic, 1h30 steady, 1h hills - no running with the dog this week, just brisk walks - I don't need to be running 6x)
- Swim 3x (mostly just steady cruising at this point)
- Ride 2x (1 Mtb for 1-2hrs; 2hr tempo ride)
- If I am bored haha or have extra time, a couple commuter rides and maybe another swim.
- Stay on track with the diet. Mostly about portion size for me, although I am noticing that when the training hours go up, I crave junk a LOT - I actually am craving a Big Mac right now. I am finding it harder and harder to stay disciplined here. Mostly trying to avoid sugar, but the fatty foods are my enemy right now. Bah!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week:
4 runs - SUPER FAIL. Only did 2. My knee is being tweaky.
cycle commute + convince hubby to go for a long road ride with me - WIN (3/4) and FAIL (it stormed all weekend)
core x3 - FAIL (only did 1).
yoga x1 - FAIL.

Ha, I really didn't do much of anything this last week I guess! Oops.

Goals for this week:
1. cycle commute
2. core x4
3. 3 runs + Mud Run race
4. Do really, really good at the race and smoke all my classmates but still hide how overly competitive I am and act like I'm just doing it for fun. ;)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals
2 swims: met
2 sessions of 3 mile runs: did one, but compromised on the other one by doing a 2 mile run and then a zumba class right after
1 session of core: done
1 slow session of bike: done

this week's goals
2 swims: did one, one more to go (Thurs)
3 sessions of 2 mile run with a zumba or boot camp class right after: did one session today, will do 2 more sessions at the end of week.
a fun belly dance class!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- Stay on track with the diet. Mostly about portion size for me, although I am noticing that when the training hours go up, I crave junk a LOT - I actually am craving a Big Mac right now. I am finding it harder and harder to stay disciplined here. Mostly trying to avoid sugar, but the fatty foods are my enemy right now. Bah!

This is probably something you already know, but is new to me.

I have a mouth full of sweet teeth. My dietician has been helping me 'manage that by thinking about making healthier choices. Example: if I want a no bake cookie, vanilla yogurt would also be sugary and sweet but if I choose the yogurt, I get more calcium and protein. So eating the cookie is a missed opportunity to get calcium and protein, both of which our bodies almost always need. Obviously there are differences - yogurt has an entirely different texture, temperature, and flavor than the cookie - but if it's SUGAR I'm craving and not a no bake cookie specifically, the switch usually works. Additionally, I've found that if I work hard at getting all of the nutrients I need (I track things in terms of "exchanges" of servings of veggies, fruit, milk, fat, starch, proteins) then I am (a) full and (b) don't want the sugar anyway. It's when I start replacing a snack of fruit + string cheese with, say, a cookie that things go haywire and I just end up craving more sugar.

Anyway you don't have my eating issues so that probably is old news for you while it's groundbreaking research in my world ;-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a really good observation. I am more of a savory girl, but the cravings for fatty foods are insane right now (like: I'm about to go nuke a frozen lasagna I'm so hungry). I too have noticed if I have something sweet, then about an hour later, I want something else sweet.

These "a-ha" moments are good...

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find that having nourishing meals thruout the day is also key to avoid craving sweets. For me nourishing meal must have carb, protein, veggies, fat, preferably served hot. Sometimes after a meal like that, I would reward myself w/ a small bit of sweets,. And usuaaly I get hungry again few hour later, and if I don't have a nourishing meal again, I will attack the sweets. The hard part is to have those nourishing meals available sine it takes planning to get them ready. And available thru the day,
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25 [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am more of a savory girl

That's so interesting. I am all over sweet, sweet, sweet foods. I cannot recall a craving for pasta; I think meats are savory (vegetarian here). I always want cereal, cookies, or cocoa. The sugar cravings get worse when I am tired, which is of course my body just asking for energy in some form.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
TC, how's your week going? What flowers will you be getting yourself? :)

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25 [Jean] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
last week's goals
2 swims: met
2 sessions of 3 mile runs: did one, but compromised on the other one by doing a 2 mile run and then a zumba class right after
1 session of core: done
1 slow session of bike: done

this week's goals
2 swims: did one, one more to go (Thurs)
3 sessions of 2 mile run with a zumba or boot camp class right after: did one session today, will do 2 more sessions at the end of week.
a fun belly dance class!

update:
swim tomorrow; 2 mile run and boot camp class fri; belly dance, abds, zumba sat.

for total of 2 swims, 2 sessions of 2 mile run+class, 1 session of 3 mile run+core, fun belly dancing & etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25 [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
TC, how's your week going? What flowers will you be getting yourself? :)

Thanks for asking!

My favorite flowers are carnations. Something deep red and then the white with a little bit of pink around their petals' edges, or deep red + white/purple edging. But they have to be a dark red - not bright.

I can't decide if really big bedtime 'snacks' counts as bingeing or not. Like on Monday night I had four pop tarts. Brilliant. The trigger was being tired but trying to keep myself awake. Should have just gone to bed - I wasn't up studying or anything important. Two nights ago I had two yogurts (normal) + like 3 servings of chocolate cheerios mixed in (not normal). I had a symptom free day yesterday, but Tuesday was not. One day! I need 7 in a row to get flowers :-) I can do it!

Training week: 4 good runs so far (5.3, 8. 5, 5.25); 25 minutes of yoga; one really long session doing hip exercises; one 1000 yd swim (I got in the pool quickly yesterday morning in case something came up in the middle of the day and I couldn't get to the pool. That was a good idea because my lunchtime was, er, eaten up with other stuff).

I am having a very successful school week. I got a 95 on a big statistics paper and yesterday a PhD student in economics came into the math office. He needed tutoring in econometrics, which is the economy version of statistics. They asked if I could tutor him. It is pretty cool to be tutoring a PhD student! I worked with him for awhile yesterday and he is coming in this morning. He has a test this afternoon.

I have seen my brother twice this week - dinner yesterday and he came over just to hang out Tuesday afternoon - and I'm handing out candy at his house on Halloween. I like it when I get to see him a lot!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goals for the week (better late than never)

* be open and honest with my dietician on Friday (something is going on that I'm not going to tell details of here but I really need to tell her even though it's really hard)

* 6 runs (4 done)
* 3 good hip exercise sessions (1 done)
* 3 swims (1 done)
* 2 yoga classes (1 done)
* start to work on the yoga class I'll be teaching on Sundays in November
* as many symptom free days as possible [re: eating disorder] (at 3 so far, sort of, I still stress out over whether or not a big bedtime snack is ok or not so it's either 1 or 3 depending on how you look at it)

Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 28, 10 1:23
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe your answer to the snack question depends on what your goal really is - is part of it working on not having to be perfect and control all your eating? So big snacks are sometimes okay and you can't beat yourself up over it. Or, is it not allowing bingeing in response to emotions/fatigue/etc? So then you have to be more careful about the big snacks.

Dunno... But I'm glad to hear the rest of the week is going well! Although really, carnations? Always makes me think of old ladies at church. ;) I'd prefer pink tulips myself. Strangely enough, I used to hate tulips too (and pink!), then decided to use them anyway as my wedding flowers because they were dirt cheap, and now I love them. Amazing how much associations play into likes and dislikes.

Hang in there, you'll get your 7 days!

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had 2 pieces of pizza for dinner rather than the pile of vegetables (either stir fried or a salad) that I usually have for dinner.

This is reason for much anxiety right now. f*cking eating disorder. Go away.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ya know, 2 pieces of pizza ain't that bad fer ya... If you were inhaling Big Macs or Double Downs all the time, different story.

Let yourself not eat like a rabbit once in a while and let go the guilt that you must be perfect.

Ap

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by eating disorder? Huh?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had an eating disorder for about 10 years. Not fun.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Were u diagnosed with it? Who diagnosed u w/ it. Do u make yourself throwup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Diagnosed with anorexia nervosa in April 2000. Diagnosed by my PCP.

I had a very short phase of purging my senior year of college; I have not made myself throw up for a pretty long time. Far easier not to eat, than to eat then make yourself throw up.

Eating disorders thrive in secrecy and shame which is one of the reasons I am very, very open about it. I've also gotten good in 10y of therapy at asking for support when I need it.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Oct 29, 10 5:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well this coming week I'm going to try and start working out after my tragic accident of watching my furchild get hit by a car... Haven't worked out since Oct 13th rather been trying to deal with the grief that comes in waves... Soooo... Goals

Run 25min and Swim 50 min - Tuesday and Thursday
Bike Trainer 60 min - Monday and Wednesday
Physical Therapy exercises for shoulders and neck - EVERDAY

Wish me luck... I don't know how its going to go... All I know is that I miss my running companion/furchild everyday!
Quote Reply
Re: Weekly how'd-you-do --- Oct 25 [tayjay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bet you do.

Hang in there. If you don't do any running, that's OK BTW ;-)

AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Eating disorders thrive in secrecy and shame which is one of the reasons I am very, very open about it. I've also gotten good in 10y of therapy at asking for support when I need it.

Bravo, bravo.
Quote Reply