Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

TT bike experts...which bike to buy??
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone,
I am wanting to purchase a new TT bike at some point before next season. I am a small, light rider and the TT bikes seem so heavy! I am currently shopping around and I have wondering which is more important for a small, lighter rider....aerodynamics or weight or both??

Thanks!

KK
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [Kat_Kong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Aero trumps weight every time.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree aero is more important than weight. The weight of the bike is of little importance compared to the weight of the rider, water, and wheels. If you are a weight weenie, start in one of those 3 places first.

The caveat to areo is those scientifically documented wind tunnel tests...come to find out. Those are bunk too. They will test and test and test until they get the "numbers" they want. They will change riders, direction of wind, etc. Some tests actually will test a bike without a rider on it! How ludicrous is that? "Why yes, your bike is the MOST aero bike on the market as long as you don't actually get on it and ride it." Again, the best place to improve here is bike fit (rider) and wheels for aerodynamics.

Personally, decide what is important to you. I am shopping for a new bike next season as well. If you pick 5 things that are "important" you will be able to weed out the unwantables. Things I looked at were: 1- 650 or 700 wheel base and the stability. I don't want a bigger wheel base if I am gonna feel all twitchy in areo position. 2- I don't want an integrated head set. Looks like too much trouble (can't switch forks, hard to work on, etc.) for the price. 3 - Appearance. I am a woman. I want a sexy bike. There I said it. I want a cool color and a slick appearance. The Trek TT Equinox, for example, is super clunky looking and too much material for my little frame size. 4 - Originality, I don't want to be one of the million triathletes with a Cervelo. UGH. Over it. Nuff said. 5 - I want my bike to be easy to work on. I do not want my mechanic (my husband) griping every time I want new cables or need new brake pads.

So for me I am either going to get a Guru (even though the internal cable routing is a PIA) or a Blue (my personal favorite :))

Heather Sweet
http://thesweetsadventure.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Aero trumps weight every time.

I don't agree with this entirely. For the majority of riders on the majority of courses, this is true.

However, there are exceptions. If you are a very weak rider riding a very hilly course, a TT may not be the best option. The aerodynamic effect of a TT bike and deep dish wheels is much higher at faster speeds. If you are a weak, slow rider and spend a considerable amount of time on the course under 10mph, in my opinion (not numbers from a wind tunnel) it may not be worth it to sacrifice the weight.

More importantly, it may not be worth sacrificing your comfort. If you have back problems or very little flexibility, even if it saves you 5-10 min riding in the most aerodynamic position on an aerodynamic bike, you may lose so much more time being completely messed up during your run.

Finally, there is a money issue. You can achieve a very "fast" position on a road bike with clip-on aerobars or bar-end shifters with an aero basebar + fast wheels.

A TT frame with an aerodynamic position will be considerably faster at high speeds, but only if the position is used! In the races I watch/participate in, I see that most athletes do not use their aero position during critical times of the race. Secondly, many riders crank out the uphill and coast (sitting up) on the downhills-a complete waste of aerodynamics right there. Lastly, so many riders are very uncomfortable riding a TT bike in the aero position- they brake and go slowly around corners, sit-up, swerve- another waste of aerodynamics. And potentially hazardous.

I'm not assuming that you are any of these things- what I am saying is that 1.) position is more important than bike 2.) fast wheels are more important than a fast bike and 3.) If you get the bike, ride it to its full potential by getting comfortable with it and working on your flexibility and strength if needed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
late to the party on this Kat.

and yup, I joined the Cervelo mafia on Oct. 2008. i test rode a shit ton of bikes. i talked to Olympic gold medalist Kristin Armstrong who has had the chance to ride everything and anything in the world and she chose P3, and told me i too would love it. (yes, she WAS sponsored by Cervelo, but she chose to ride for them because she was already riding rebranded / repainted P3's in her TT's). she was right. (she also told me to stop being a pansy ass and ride a disc at IMAZ, which i did and hence made the podium, but that's another story).

anyhow, "Da Shizznit", my P3, came into the stable 2 years ago and I love love love this bike. i am 5'5" and sub 120 on race day. going DA on the BB, cranks, cassette, etc can scrub some weight. race wheels for sure. i train heavy, with the heaviest wheels, powermeter, etc, but on race day i go for as light as possible with carbon cranks (remove PM) and Zipps, and sometime a disc (fear not the disc!)

anyhow, everyone feels ride quality differently. i hated the Scott Plasma (felt like a tank) and the TTX (felt hollow and rougher ride). the P3 felt stable and smooth and effortless, and fit my short torso better. it's all individual. take your time and pick what is RIGHT for you.

good luck.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [hj-rockstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"I want a cool color and a slick appearance. The Trek TT Equinox, for example, is super clunky looking and too much material for my little frame size."

Why no love for the Trek Equinox? Here's a pic of mine (51 cm). It rides like a dream. I think its a cool colour and looks slick. Oh, and I built it myself so there is a huge sense of pride when I get compliments out on the course.

Edit for a resized pic. :)
Last edited by: julieb2008: Oct 1, 10 14:05
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [julieb2008] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a personal choice. I just don't like it. Glad you do. Thanks for posting a pic of your hog. :)

Heather Sweet
http://thesweetsadventure.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [hj-rockstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree, different spokes for different folks. I was really just looking for an excuse to post a pic. Shameless I know.

Good luck with your search next year. I too really like the look of Blue's bikes. Not very common around here. I did have a chance to pick up a used 2007 T.14 frameset but I was already knee deep into the Trek build and there was really no chance I was getting another bike in the door :( .

Cheers.

julie b
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love my Cervelo P3.

However, without my Zipp 404's I don't pull ahead of my training partners who are on regular road bikes. Put on the 404's and I drop everybody as soon as we hit a flat with a headwind or a downhill.

Also, fit is HUGE. I mean HUGE. I just had my bike mechanic take out a half-sized spacer under the handlebars to get them lower to get me more aero for Kona. I was miserably uncomfortable. We're only talking 1/4 inch lower and it was horrible. I put the spacer back in and can stay in the aerobars all day. (Hopefully it won't be all day on Oct. 9)

Anyway, from my limited experience it's all about fit, wheels, and a pretty paint job! I love having a bike that I look at every time and think "I LOVE that bike." You only go around once, you might as well have a pretty bike.

While I love all the testosterone flying around on the other forum, I could never post that there!
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [sto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sto,

Tell me about your disc experience at Arizona. I have never dared to try one.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I rode my disc wheel to within 40 seconds of the podium at IMAZ.

In November, I'll be back with my disc wheel for sure. If I don't suffer hypothermia again, I may get lucky...

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
KK,

The best way to shop for a bike starts with your measurements. There are a lot of cool , TT bikes out there. There are many in small sizes. According to guru Steve Hed the most important aspect of riding is the rider's position on the bike. Take your measurements to a bike person that can determine the bike brand of geometry that will fit you best. Check out ST articles on stack and reach and fit. Inform yourself and ask questions. Being comfortable equals being powerful on the bike. There are no short cuts to getting the "perfect" bike. I'm a small rider and it took two bikes before I got a bike to fit properly. It makes all the difference in the world!

Jacqueline
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [SallyShortyPnts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That water really was cold. Took me half of the first bike loop to stop shivering. Assuming Tempe Town Lake fills by then, I wonder if the 'new' water this year will be warmer or colder.
Quote Reply
Re: TT bike experts...which bike to buy?? [NMGal] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well, i mentioned I was thinking about trying a disc to my shop mechanic as he was doing the final bike prep tune up. i was renting a set of 404's from them anyhow for the race. when i came to pick it up, it had the disc on it and not a rear 404. so I said, i guess i am riding a disc at IMAZ. he just smiled and said yes, you are. you know what they say about not trying new things on race day.... well out the window that went.

i'm a light person and was scared about getting blown around, but i never EVER felt unstable out there. we had a major tail-cross wind on the first downill lap (mile 17-35) and the disc acts like a sail. i was not even pedaling and hauling ass like 33 mph (i choose to eat and drink on the downhills at IMAZ as i am relaxed and can cram down a bunch of food there). into the wind i did not feel heavy or compromised at all.

IMAZ is the perfect course for a disc. bike split was a 5:33. i regret not pushing it a little harder though. granted i was in ridiculous shape there last year. i rode hard / long from May until Halloween, including IMC.
Quote Reply