Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

A tender subject ...
Quote | Reply
After 10 years of riding, I finally got my first riding boil. It's not in a "saddle friendly" spot. Any advice on quickly eradicating this painful little pimple?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No sidewindin bushwackin, hornswaglin, cracker croaker is gonna rouin me bishen cutter!
Quote Reply
Re: A tender subject ... [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here is what I have done: (This is a moderately high pain threshold maneuver. If you aren't comfortable with self surgery, you will need to go to the emergency room)

1. Apply ice to numb the area. (If you have a topical numbing agent, like an ointment, that's ok too.)

2. Apply betadine to the area with a sterile pad. (both available at the drug store) This creates a sterile field.

3. Slice the boil with a razor. You should make a small, but deep enough cut to completely drain the abcess (sp?). Continue to apply pressure until drainage is complete.

4. Wipe are clean and apply betadine.

5. Bandage with sterile pad and tape. Change bandages frequently. Wound should heal nicely in a few days. Try to keep area clean and sterile to avid infection.

It's not fun and it can hurt like hell, but it works.

Good luck.

NOTE: I am not a doctor or anything even close. Take my suggestions for what they are, free and unqualified advice. :-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: A tender subject ... [3Sport] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure I know the difference b/n a boil and a large pimple; but, I get a couple a year (not that bad) and I use a technique similar to Adam except I use alcohol and a needle. Seems to work fine.

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply