Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

High HR while Running
Quote | Reply
I run marathons & half-marathons frequently and am trying to increase my speed. However, I cannot control my HR regardless how slow or fast I run. My HR will be in the high 170s, low 180s on training runs (sustained for long runs too). The only way I can make it decrease is if I stop and walk. Sustaining a HR that high is very taxing and makes running unenjoyable.

I have tried many suggestions to decrease my HR, but nothing has been effective.

(1) Training on a treadmill for months at 11 or 12 min miles to keep my HR lower (I usually train at 9:00/mi and race at low 8s)
(2) Controlling my breathing - inhaling through the nose, exhaling through the mouth
(3) Increasing my water intake (supposedly dehydration effects your HR)
(4) I got an EKG and my heart is ok

Any suggestions on how to decrease my HR? I would really like running to be enjoyable!

Kara
Quote Reply
Re: High HR while Running [knblocklinge] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the opposite problem. I race at 8 min/mile but my HR never exceeds 156 bpm, and believe me, I am not "comfortable" at that pace either.

I researched my issue and I think the answer I found applies to you. Apparently, I might just have a naturally low HR, which means I have a high stroke volume. So my heart pumps more slowly, but pumps more blood. Possibly you have a naturally high HR, so you have a low stroke volume, and this may be genetically determined.

Over time, your HR should decrease with further training as your heart becomes more efficient as the muscle strengthens. Are you doing high intensity intervals? Doing some alternating between high and low speeds may also help.

Now, if someone has advice for me on how to increase my HR... My worry is that I'm not working hard enough during my races, but the discomfort is preventing me from running faster.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, but only with running, not biking, swimming, weight, etc... I spent a fair amount of time in the mountains shortly after college, and the altitude actually seemed to allow me to have a lower HR for the same pace, and running was much more comfortable then, but as soon as I was back to sea level (or about), my HR returned to 185ish average. Other than that, nothing has seemed to help me either (I've tried 1-3)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the exact same problem and have found no resolution - doctors have been involved and at the end of the many, many tests I've had it was decided that it's just "one of those things". Some of us will have a higher hr.

Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. It is very frustrating because running is a chore. I can bike, take classes, etc. and my HR is under control. It is very perplexing. It just doesn't seem right that I can sustain a HR in the 180s for 2+ hours. My fellow tri and running friends think I am a freak. If I find something that works, I will be sure to post it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What's your resting HR?

*Anne*
Quote Reply
Re: High HR while Running [reefmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Low 50s.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Me too!!

My HR is normally between 160-180 for running.

My issue is a am now pregnant and my resting HR has gone up massively (20bpm) so trying to keep my HR somewhat under control when running is now ridiculous- I just shuffle :(
Quote Reply
Re: High HR while Running [ebanana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with your pregnancy! Hopefully the craziness of pregnancy will adjust your HR post pregnancy. Many of my friends became better runners after they had children!

I am going to try one more thing, The Maffetone Method. I figure my racing season is almost over and the fall and winter are a perfect opportunity to try something new. It worked for Mark Allen, so it is worth a try. Has anybody tried this method and had success?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the same issue in regard to high heart rate only when running. Low resting HR too. I have thyroid issues and noticed that when my meds are right this affects my heart rate, which still remains high for running, but it brings my perceived effort back into line (not that I'm saying running isn't still hard-it's just a bit easier on the perceived effort side). Perhaps you should have your thyroid checked just to be sure?
Quote Reply
Re: High HR while Running [plod_along] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the idea. My mom actually has thyroid issues (hypo), so it is worth getting tested.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is to the OP. Are you worried just because the arbitrary number of 180 seems high,or are you gasping out of breath at any running pace.

From what you are saying, that you can run long at 180, suggests that you aren't gasping for breath and maybe you just have a high hr? HR is very individual and just bc your friend has never seen anything above 170 doesn't mean anything for you.

I get into the 190s or higher on a 5k or steep hill so my hr tends to run higher than most at slower paces too

http://bethanyrutledge.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
(2) Controlling my breathing - inhaling through the nose, exhaling through the mouth

Have you tried inhaling and exhaling both through the mouth? You'll get in more oxygen and might find it easier to run.
Quote Reply
Re: High HR while Running [Tri Run] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2
I can't imagine running inhaling through just my nose!

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply