Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations
Quote | Reply
I'm doing the 2011 edition of the Boston marathon. Just wondering if anyone out there has any recommendations for good hotels that are NOT $400+ per night? I don't mind walking a short distance to a subway station to get to the Commons.

Thanks in advance!

Luke
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [drluke12] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Marriott Copley in '08. It was pricey but under $400/night...for some reason $329 sticks in my head. It was a perfect location to race/subway/grocery store, etc. No idea what it costs now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://www.marathontours.com/...oston/bostonform.pdf

We have used this company several times for best price/best location. We are staying at the Boston Sheraton, but it is already sold out along with several of the others.

-----------------------------------------------------------------
mikew
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess I wasn't aware registration was open....officially it opens in October for 2011 ....

Anyway, I stayed at the Intercontinental, a little out of the way, but easy to get to the bus area on race morning.

I *heart* weak, dumb ass people...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This last April we stayed at the Holiday Inn Express on Boston Street: http://www.hiexpress.com/...on/boshj/hoteldetail#

Two miles from town, but only a 10-min walk to the T and then 3 stops from Boston Commons. Super affordable (4 nights cost us ~450 with tax) and the free breakfast is very good with lots of choices. Not the newest or fanciest hotel around, but it was clean, in a good locale, and easy to navigate to/from.

Hope that helps,
-Steven

I won't quit running when I get old...I'll get old when I quit running.
Blogging from time to time at: http://trirunning.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Westin was great but will cost between $300-400. I think anything in Copley Sq. would be nice and that is the best area to stay.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [DC Pattie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know you don't want to take the risk, but I Pricelined the Sunday morning before the race in '07 and got the Intercontinental, brand new, very nice for $125,

There is also a Westin in South Boston down by the convention center and the Seaport Hotel down by Commonwealth Pier.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stayed at the Westin Waterfront in 2008. *Extremely* nice. Subway a 3 minute walk. Legal Test Kitchen an 8-10 minute walk. Will try to stay there again in 2011.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [benhawn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2

Stayed there one year, not running, but hanging out "in town" the day before the race. The hotel had a number of shuttles bringing the runners to the Common for the official buses.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If this is your first Boston, you want to stay downtown - LOVE the Fairmont Copley, but $$$. Might as well enjoy. If you have been to Boston or don't care about the crazy downtown scene and can get to the expo/packet, just stay out near Hopkinton for the start in Southborough or whatever at a Red Roof, Holiday Inn, etc. Will save $200 (and pay for a rental car if you want). Just roll down to the start. There are buses (the nice tour variety at that) that take you back to the start at the finish line.

Quote | Reply
There's a few newer hotels down by the waterfront/convention center that also have access to the Silver Line on the T (also easy to get to the airport if flying) including the Seaport Hotel, the Renaissance and the Westin. Plenty of good dining options in the area too, plus you'll be away from the crowds/pricier options down by Copley Sq and the finish area.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've always been able to find great hotels for the marathon for very reasonable rates on hotwire.com. This year we stayed at the Sheraton near the finish line for $100/night....
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [Brian in MA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Was planning to register for a hotel after I was officially entered next month, but my sis who works for Hilton just let me know that places are already filling up. Yikes. I'm starting from scratch here, so can someone tell me if staying near Logan airport is a bad idea? FWIW I care more about the experience / location than I do about the rate - this will be my first & perhaps only Boston combined as a 40th b-day trip (mine) with my wife sans kids so I want to do it right.

----------------------------------------------------------

If it's a YMCA pool, the lightning wanders around the locker room naked for an hour, then uses the blow dryer on its junk. -lunchbox
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [hjghost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's a Hyatt and another hotel (used to be a Hilton but can't remember offhand what it is now) on the airport property that are likely cheaper but would be more of a pain in the neck getting back and forth from everything in town, eventhough the airport is connected to the T by both the Blue and Silver Lines, plus if the experience is importance then that would not be where I'd recommend. In addition to what I mentioned above out at the Seaport, another option that might be more affordable than the Back Bay/Copley Sq area would be staying near the TD Garden as there is a Holiday Inn Express right across the street from the Garden and a few other hotels in that immediate area as well. Access to the Green/Orange Lines right there also.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Copley Square Hotel. It is a newly renovated boutique hotel one block from the finish on Huntington Avenue. My wife and I absolutely loved it. It wasn't as expensive as the Fairmont, and the staff was unbelievably friendly. The rooms are small, but were perfect for what we were looking for.

Regards!

Boilerboy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi all!
Is this still pretty much valid?
Any other (new / additional) places since these posts?
Thanks very much!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [Y-Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at the Sheraton this year. If I go back I'll try and get accom as close as I can but just past the finish line. While I don't expect the conditions to be like they were this year getting into a shower asap was a big priority in my life after crossing the finish line and the walk seemed to take forever.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [Brett runs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does it not make sense to stay near the start if you will NOT stay Monday night but rather Saturday and Sunday night?
Thanks again!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends if you want to be part of the whole event I guess. For me the bus ride out was a cool fun experience and i would want to do that again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Following this as well! will be my first and maybe last Boston so will be looking to get the experince as well as racing.

#1 What are the best places to stay for ease of getting around the race

#2 what are the best places for ppl who might be coming to watch/is that the same as #1

#3 places that are solid for #1+2 but won't break the bank?

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [sunray1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marathon Tours just opened their room reservations for Boston 2019 today. The rooms go fast, and several places that were listed this morning when I looked are already full. Last time I raced, they seemed to have the best prices and there were no hassles using them.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
^ following
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Y-Tri wrote:
Does it not make sense to stay near the start if you will NOT stay Monday night but rather Saturday and Sunday night?
Thanks again!

I wouldn't stay near the start. Much more fun and convenient to be in Boston close to all the activity, expo, etc. And getting back to Hopkinton after the race on Monday will be a huge pain.
Quote Reply
Re: Boston Marathon Hotel Recommendations [sunray1985] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I stayed at Kimpton Marlowe Hotel, Cambridge in 2017. Night average with taxes came out to be about $320/night. The location was about 15 mins away from the finish line/expo, and it is about a 5 min walk from the subway station. There is a mall, grocery stores and a bunch of places to eat within a 1/2 mile radius. I'd stay there again.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply