Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Cervelo / Spinergy Tilium
Quote | Reply
I was test riding a few bikes over the weekend and the guys at the local LBS suggested the Spinergy Tilium wheels would dampen the ride of the Cervelo. I rode the Dual, P2K, and QR Caliente. My question is has anyone tried the Tilium? If I just got a deep carbon rim such as the Xaero carbon SS without the PBO spokes would that provide some shock dampening qualities as well? Also are the bladed spokes that much more aero than the PBO's? I am assuming since the PBO spokes offer schock dampening qualities, I will be giving up a little bit on power transfer, after all the energy absorbed by the PBO spoked rim will have to come from somewhere.

BAckground: I am a MPOer and I am not really concerned with shaving off a few seconds off a 40k time trial. I am more concerned with being able to stay aero for longer and saving my legs for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo / Spinergy Tilium [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My 2 cents. First: The oval spokes are the tiniest bit faster than PBOs. On the order of magnitude of angels-on-heads-of-pins sort of measurements. In other words, you'll never know the difference.

Second, the dampening properties of the spokes don't rob power from you. The dampening will add more to your average speed than detract, since little road shocks are being absorbed by the spokes instead of by your forward momentum.

Third, those wheels are comfy! Very smooth riding. They'll certainly help you stay comfortable longer than conventional wheels. I've only ridden on a set once -- a 60 mile training ride over chip-and-seal roads. Dang, were those things smoooooth.
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo / Spinergy Tilium [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unless the PBO spokes have suddenly gotten a LOT thinner, I don't see how you can say they would be "angels on pins" slower. I have an older PBO wheel, and man, you can tell the damn things are slow (nice for Cyclocross, though.) Every test I have ever seen has come to the same conclusion.

I would be really surprised if the Tillium wheelset was much faster than a standard box section wheel (on a purely aero basis.)

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Cervelo / Spinergy Tilium [Ross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it comfort you want... then the PBO spoke is it....

I prefer the Xaero Lites over the Xaero because they handle better with side winds... the Xaero's have a wider rim but are noticeably heavier.

The aerodynamics of the PBO spoke isn't the best... you have half as many spokes (compared to a steel spoked wheel) but each are twice the thickness. Whether oval spokes vs. round can make a bid difference is something I doubt.

I believe the real advantage to the PBO spoke is that there is a noticeable comfort level gained - period. As for aerodynamics... I would not say that is an advantage... but, fresh legs and a pain free ride can make up for lack of aerodynamics - anyday.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply