Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

acne mechanica: any tips?
Quote | Reply
Maybe following will gross some people out but I need some help with this!
Summer is well on its way and as long as I remember that's the time I'm bothered by some acne. Luckely not in my face or anywhere else visible. But at the places where my sportsbra and HRM band give some (normal) pressure on my skin. Usually I have 3 to 5 spots on the shoulder blades, sometimes those spots are painful. Now I know it's called acne mechanica
caused or aggravated by heat, constant pressure and repetitive friction against the skin. As an athlete I take good care of myself so showers, cleaning my skin and using clean clothes are part of my daily routine.
I can't find any natural treatments. Any tips are welcome how to treat my bothered skin and prevent any scarring in the future.

Thanks!
Kaikala
Quote Reply
Re: acne mechanica: any tips? [Kaikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This year I've been getting it where my pack sits/the hip belt sits after a couple days of backpacking. I've had it happen on a couple of different trips.

I've found that acne cream helps though it's not natural.

For a natural treatment I'd try tea tree oil - I used that on zits when I was a teenager and it's pretty good.
Quote Reply
Re: acne mechanica: any tips? [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought some lactic acid 40% and use it once a week. It is less likely to irritate then glycolic and really seems to keep my pors free and clear. I ran out and only realized how much it was helping after I stopped using it! Also keeps my skin nice and soft : )
Quote Reply
Re: acne mechanica: any tips? [Kaikala] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Tea Tree oil. I love it. It works well for me. Another suggestion, on the larger bumps that are sore, put on a dot of tea tree oil and then cover the spot with a bandaid. This works especially well overnight. Covering with a bandaide helps the tea tree oil penetrate and help the pimples heal faster.

You might also consider a body wash with at least 2% salicylic acid. That will also help keep your pores clean. (I like Neutrogena's).

if you can't shower right after you run, at least get out of your sweatie clothes and consider getting some Witchel Hazel to rub over any areas that break out.
Quote Reply
Re: acne mechanica: any tips? [YarnYoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 on Neutrogena's stuff - I use the orange scented face scrub

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: acne mechanica: any tips? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the tips. I'm familiar with the tea tree oil, but never used it for this 'problem'. Bought some tea tree oil bodywash, lotion and pure oil. Will let you guys know in a few weeks if the TT-treatment helped.

Happy training and racing!
Quote Reply