Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Prego Shocker [NYCLauren] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just wrote a story about training during/after pregnancy regarding a 37-year-old first-time mom in the Tampa Bay area. She trained throughout, gained just 21 pounds, and was back to normal weight/body composition six weeks later. She's a registered dietician, so that helped.

http://endurancesportsflorida.com/...turn-from-pregnancy/

http://www.endurancesportsflorida.com
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [Pete Williams] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome read! Thanks so much for posting!!! I can't believe how good that woman looked 6 weeks after birth. That's what I'm striving for !! :-)

Initially when I started this thread I was so scared of gaining a ton of weight with this pregnancy. I have to say, I am currently 34 weeks, not counting calories at all, eating mostly whatever I want and have only gained 17 lbs, with 6 weeks to go. I'm all boobs and belly. However, I think I have kept my weight gain to a minimum as I'm still working out. I'm still cross training 5-6x a week at the gym and yes, people now stare at me-- like they've never seen someone prego workout before. At first I was annoyed, but I'm over it now.

One question that I have for all of you mom runners... I would like to run a marathon this fall... even though I've kept a base with my cardio exercise routine during these last 8 months so far... what kind of running program would you suggest to get back to where I once was? (Prior to being prego, I usually have ran a 3:30-3:45 of the last 5 marathons I've done) but I know I can't just jump right back into it... What is everyone think?
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [NYJan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should definitely try and run a marathon if you can squeeze in the training and it still appeals to you after your new baby is here. For me, as much as I was interested in doing something athletic, it was just too much for me right away.

Most of all, I'd really caution you not to use that blog post as a good model. Unfortunately, I know several women who've caused a bunch of damage to their hips and pelvic floor, etc. by trying to do too much too soon. Some of this depends on the delivery as much as the pregnancy. For example, I had an easy pregnancy and exercised right up til the end. But the delivery was slow and basically wrecked my pelvic floor. My doctor's standard advice was no exercise except for walking until she checked you out at 6 weeks. I'm glad I waited, because even at 6 weeks (and even 12 weeks) things were not healed properly. Your tendons are still loose and there may be other non-visible damage that can be made worse by the high impact of running (or the possibility of infection in a pool).

If you get the green light from your doctor at 6 weeks (or before) then go for it, but I wouldn't just decide for yourself you're ready to go.

----
Suffering on the the bike is always more fun than suffering on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Prego Shocker [NYJan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was climbing competetively at the national level when I got pregnant and would have continued if I could have stopped throwing up. Although I couldn't climb I continued running until I was 7 months and couldn't handle the pressure on my bladder, then I continued cycling. I had to be convinced NOT to race in a crit at 6 months. Through the entire pregnancy I was on my horses and competing to the day my daughter was born. In fact, 6 hours after I finished a dressage school, Ainsley joined us! That was a Thursday and Monday I had my last jump school on the same horse. My Dr. was livid that I continued to be so active through my pregnancy. I would show up to appointments telling her about remodeling the house and laying pergo floors or ripping up carpet. After 7 months when she knew I wasn't about to give up my active life style because I was pregnant, she requested I be as safe as possible and not tell her anything... Sooooo... while going through the last few pushes, I told her of all my adventures over the past couple of months! 5 years and 3 months later, my beautiful little girl is extremely active running 5k's and begging to do triathlons with her mom and dad. The most important thing I would tell anyone who is pregnant or considering becomming pregnant is to not give up your life. If you have been active all along, remaining active and being a little more aware of your body is the way to go. Many of us don't listen to our bodies when we train and tend to push through the pain, causing injury--I speak from experience. If you become a bit more careful of what feels alright and listen to what your body is telling you, there's no reason you can't continue racing and competing. Most people, Dr's included tend to shy from women who want to keep pushing through pregnancy. A friend of mine climbed- albeit easy- until the week she gave birth, just making adjustments to her full body harness as she got closer to her due date. My mother-in-law, an Olympic hurdler, ran until the 6th month of her first child, 8th month of her second, and during her 42 hour labor with the first did crunches to make the time go faster. I attribute my 4 hour labor and healthy child to continuing a healthy, active lifestyle throughout my pregnancy.
Quote Reply

Prev Next