Could be acid reflux from all the crazy eating you do in longer races

A

C'mon legs run faster!
Being fast on a crappy bike is cool
Fueled by Guinness, Tuborg, Anchor Steam and Creemore Springs
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [ToddH] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me after my last 2 IMs. The saltier the food the worse the sensation. Imagine finishing, showering, and then sitting down in front of a huge bacon cheeseburger and fries that you had been dreaming about for weeks only to have your mouth burn like hell when eating. What a letdown. On the plus side, beer still seemed to go down OK.

Both times the burning was gone by dinner time the next day.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [PJT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same thing happened to me after IMLP last year. Tried to eat post-race pizza and nearly screamed it hurt so bad. Went away after about three days.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [olddude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I second the mouth breathing and not keeping the area moist for such a long duration.

"injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere" MLK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mine hurts sometime too. I think its a combination of sucking on ice, eating gels and blocs. When I'm racing I pressing them against the top of my mouth to squeeze them. probably bruises the soft tissue.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’m googling this in the airport after IMFL. I haven’t eaten all day, I’m so hungry. I usually get it after an Ironman but this time it is really bad. Even fluid hurts.

"Focus on the donut, not the hole." - Unknown
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [SuperKat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I chalked it up to the 12+ hours of breathing out of my mouth. I went from Humid FL to dry AZ for my IM and my mouth was torn up. I remember all I wanted was pancakes the next morning and the cinnamon on top of them made it unbearable...
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [JasonD1430] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve had similar for the last 3 months. It’s like I burned my mouth eating hot pizza. It comes and goes and it seems to get bad after eating spicy food. I took the antibody test Saturday thinking it’s a covid symptom and maybe I had an asymptomatic case sometime in late summer. Very weird I wasn’t really doing much working out when the symptom started
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had this happen every time I've done a marathon. I always attribute it to the hard sucking if gels and bottles.
After reading this thread it makes a lot of sense that heavy breathing for 3+ hours without stopping can do some damage.

More common than I thought
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to get that in the 90's after Ironman's and put it down to PowerBars and Gatorade.I stopped eating PowerBars a couple of decades ago and dilute all my electrolyte drinks and it hasn't happened since.
Just my 2cents worth.
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [ThailandUltras] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- Swimming in salt water can break down epithelial skin layer in mouth
- The nose usually humidifies air, mouthbreathing dry air dries your rooftop
-Dehydration dries your rooftop
-Sport drinks have citric acid for flavor and ascorbic acid which can damage rooftop epithelial layer
-Stress burns zinc which is also needed to rebuild the epithelial layer on rooftop
-Systemic inflammation from sunburn means histamine isnt cleared as fast
-ketosis is also linked to mouth ulcers
- tomatos have a lot of acids that can irritate the rooftop, so thats pasta sauce and pizza, pizza also has crispy edges...

I like gu espresso love gels because they dont use citric acid. The taste is not tart at all compared to the usual lemon lime apple stuff. I used to throw up when nervous, so acid levels high and I found skipping citric acid helped keep gels down100%. It would also be kinder to mouth ulcers from swimming in brine
Quote Reply
Re: Bizarre post race symptom [Abergili] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did your dry mouth finally clear up? I am going on a month now on and off, dry mouth and chapped lips. Driving me crazy, but I have an ENT appointment on Wednesday
Quote Reply

Prev Next