Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Utah Half (again) - Pros racing as Age Groupers
Quote | Reply
I was just looking over the results and the Hawaii slots and noticed that Teri Cady of Boulder, CO won the W25-29, and received the Kona slot. That name seemed familiar, so I did a quick search and found that she's listed as a pro in the results of several other races. Here's last year's Mrs. T's:

"Women Professionals: Barb Lindquist, 1:58:40; Joanna Zeiger, 1:59:25; Evelyn Williamson, 2:01:06; Karen Smyers, 2:01:26; Becky Gibbs, 2:01:40; Nicole DeBoom, 2:04:28, Lauren Jensen, 2:04:56; Samantha McGlone, 2:05:08; Jenny Marine, 2:07:17; Teri Cady, 2:09:45 "

I did notice from this year's Wildflower results, that she raced as an age grouper, and won her division.

I looked a bit more and noticed that Nicholas Cady also raced Utah as an Age Grouper, but appears as a pro in other races, including, for example, last year's IM Utah (he was 7th overall), 2001 Escape from Alcatraz. He did not get a slot to Kona for his efforts in this year's half, however.

Seems patently unfair for the pros to take the AG slots. I think the WTC and IMNA should do the right thing and give the slot the age grouper who really earned it. If, on the other hand, these folks are in actual fact, no longer pros, I have no problem with them racing as age groupers.
Last edited by: Lloyd: Jun 1, 03 15:51
Quote Reply
Re: Utah Half (again) - Pros racing as Age Groupers [Lloyd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No wonder I finished only 9th of 13 people in my age group (M55-59)! I'm sure 8 master-aged pros were ahead of me.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply
Re: Utah Half (again) - Pros racing as Age Groupers [ScottFromUtah] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it all depends on if they hold a 2003 pro lic or not
they may have raced pro in 2002 but if they did not renew for 2003 they can race age group If you have concerns email Charlie Crawford as he is the head of all USAT referees.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Re: Utah Half (again) - Pros racing as Age Groupers [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the info. I have a general concern as a participant in this sport, and I thought it ironic that they may be pros racing in the AG in light of what happened at IM Brazil. I think the people most concerned, however, would be the women in that 25-29 AG who might otherwise be making travel plans for Kona in October.
Quote Reply
Re: Utah Half (again) - Pros racing as Age Groupers [eric] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One other note. I was just editing my original post when you filed your reply. It may well be that Teri did not renew for 2003. She is listed in the 2003 Wildflower results as an age grouper, and the winner of her division.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nick and teri (ne duthie) have both raced pro for the past few years. however i think they decided to race age group this year, at least in part due to work demands. i don't know them, but at the awards at utah, teri wasn't even sure she was going to take the spot. so this was clearly not a case of racing age group to get to hawaii. not that there would be anything wrong with that if she raced age group all year.

as i've said before, this seems to be more of a problem with athletes from foreign competitors. since hawaii is a usat sanctioned race, an american can't be switching back and forth. but i don't think there is a check on foreign athletes' licenses, so they can come get a one day license in the us and be okay.

brent
Quote Reply
Re: Utah Half (again) - Pros racing as Age Groupers [brentl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My read....

Let the pros who dont want to race for cash race, but dont count them in the AG standings. That would seem to me to be a great solution. If the pro is racing just to train and meter their fitness, they will have no issues in giving a possible Kona slot to an AG racer that is in the same race. IF the Pro is racing as AG just to try to qualify - that is underhanded garbage and their entry into Kona should be revoked.

But who cares what I think.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Teri Cady (formerly Duthie) and Nick Cady did not renew their Pro cards this year. In the last year they have gotten married, started full-time careers as high-school teachers, and bought a house. Nick is also working on his Masters degree in night school. Given the demands on their time they will be racing as age-groupers for the forseeable future.

They are both tremendously talented athletes, but they made a decision to pursure other career paths and can't train at the level required to race successfully as professionals.

J
Quote Reply
Even more outrageous.. [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is the fact that the woman who won the 30-34 age group is ACTIVELY racing as a PRO DUATHLETE this year. Lucky for her the race turned into a duathlon. And she took the Kona spot...
Quote Reply
Re: Even more outrageous.. [A in Fl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
is the fact that the woman who won the 30-34 age group is ACTIVELY racing as a PRO DUATHLETE this year. Lucky for her the race turned into a duathlon. And she took the Kona spot...

If that is the fact then she can go to Kona knowing that there is no honor in how she took that spot - I would not allow her to take it if she is racing Pro Du...Period

Maybe Lance can start racing in some Cat 5 races to fill up that trophy case huh?

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Even more outrageous.. [Record9ti] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually, I believe there is a USAT rule that you can race Duathlon as a PRO, and compete in triathlons as an amateur, but not vice versa.

"The more you sweat today, the less you bleed tomorrow"
Quote Reply