Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

manicure maintanance
Quote | Reply
I am working on letting my fingernails grow a bit longer and am finally getting there. I work in health care so I usually have kind of dry, ugly hands. I got a nice manicure / pedicure last week. My fingernail polish was chipping within about 36 hours. Are there any tricks you have to extend the life of your manicure?
I am certain swim time is the main culprit so I was wondering if you use anything on your nails to (1) strengthen them, so they are not so flimsy or (2) extend polish time?
BTW, the pedicure has held up fine!
Quote Reply
Re: manicure maintanance [wickedcheezit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swear by Sally Hansen Triple Strong on my nails to keep them really strong & healthy. I just put it on about 1x/week (removing the old first, of course). It's clear, so it just looks nice & shiny.

If I wear color on my nails (not all that often), I use the SH first as a base, then 2 coats of color, then a coat of fast dry topcoat. My current favorite is Essie Good to Go. I can get 4-5 days out of my color that way before chips. It also helps if you apply a new layer of topcoat every other day or so. Also, wrap the topcoat slightly over the tips, to protect the ends where it's most likely to chip.

One last thing - I do find that the quality of the polish makes a difference to. Avoid fast dry polishes if you want durability. Chanel, OPI and China Glaze are all very good.

Yay for girly stuff :)
Last edited by: Elsa: Jul 14, 10 7:05
Quote Reply
Re: manicure maintanance [Elsa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What I like best about your post - it sounds like you are embracing the girly stuff for YOU!

I can back up the claim with Sally Hansen products - seem to last a bit longer and make my nails more durable. I too typically coat my nails in clear polish as color doesn't last long and I hate the chipped nail look.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't remember the last time I put nail polish on because the chlorine in the pool completely strips it off of my nails. I might try the Sally Hansen stuff though... sounds promising!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently had my nails 'buffed' at a salon and I love it! They look shiny and healthy, much better than before, but no polish to wear off in the pool or chip in the weight room. It was $20 for getting cuticles trimmed, nails, shaped and then buffed. So I will totally be doing this again. However, I have very strong nails (always have) and can easily grow them long.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I generally don't get my nails painted but I've been getting pedicures for about 10 years and the chlorine has never affected the polish. I think it's just that you are doing more with your hands. Even typing, dialing the phone, etc. will work towards the polish to start to chip. The times I've had my nails painted, the same thing happens. Toes, never a problem.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I keep my toenails painted all the time - I feel naked if they are bare.

I rarely paint my nails because the color chips or I get that fine line at the end of my fingernails within a day, and I can't stand it when they look messy. Also, most nail polish makes my nail peel, even the kind that supposed to help. However, I do like my nails to look neat and clean. I like Burts Bees cuticle cream. just takes a tiny bit, rub it in well, and it will make your cuticles and nails look great. It may be a little sticky at first, but in a couple of minutes the stickiness will go away. If I use the cuticle cream every day, in a week or 2 I see a real difference in how my nails look - almost as shiney as with clear polish. You can also get a buffer and buff your nails yourself to a beautiful shine.

Love the girl stuff!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never wear color on my nails for the same reason. I do keep my toes painted and put a clear coat over the color every few days. It seems to make the polish last longer.
Quote Reply