Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

help! good bike shop in Philly/Mid-Atlantic area?
Quote | Reply
hi all, this is my first post *yikes*, even though I've been lurking for awhile...

Anyway, I have a situation that I need help with. I live in the UK but am currently in the Philadelphia area on holiday. I kind of impulsively (stupidly? not sure) bought a bike on ebay (50cm 2002 Cannondale MS2000 from Tom D. actually) and am trying to figure out the best place in the area to get it fitted before I go back (I realize about the whole "fit" issue--the mantra about only buy the model of bike that "fits" you best--but it's too late now). On top of this, my fiancee is joining me here in a week and wants to buy a NEW entry-level (under $1500) tri bike somewhere. Is there a place anyone could recommend where we would be able to accomplish all of this? Or at least some of it? Is it even possible to shop for and have in hand a tri bike within a week (that's how long he will be here).

We're willing to drive at least 4 hours if that's necessary, as these are obviously reallly big purchases. Also, prices here are so much cheaper for everything that we want to get as much done in the USA as possible.

I have been looking on the slowtwitch dealer list but can't seem to find one in the immediate area that actually stocks tri bikes. I was thinking maybe R&A Cycles in Brooklyn as they seem to stock a lot of bikes. There is also Bike Line in Wayne, PA that I have come across, possibly for my fitting as they don't seem to stock too many tri bikes. Tri-Speed in Maryland would be doable too, although someone on this board I saw called their fitting into question...I have seen people mention David Greenfield of Elite bicycles--those are our of our price range unfortunately.

Seems like I have half-answered my own questions, but I'm still looking for ANY ideas/recommendations as I am definitely clueless on this one. The whole situation is stressing me out quite a bit, especially after reading all these posts about bikes and bike fit.

thanks
Quote Reply
Re: help! good bike shop in Philly/Mid-Atlantic area? [kellwie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello! I'm from Philly and sit on the board of a local Tri Club here. 2 of our sponsors would be able to help you. One is Bike Line of Wayne. Rick is the manager and Mike is one of the best bike mechanics I've ever met. They carry Felt and Kestrel as well as Trek and Specialized. The other is Bikes BiKyle in Bryn Mawr, PA. Kyle has done fits for most of the US pro Cycling teams and carries Cervelo (tribikes from $999) and Quintano Roo and a host of other more exotic road bike lines.

Either place will take good care of you.

Good Luck! If you feel like getting in some tri-training while you're here, check out the club schedule at www.tristatemultisport.org

-Lee
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sickler's Bike shop in wilkes barre, is my shop. The bike you would be looking at there would be the one or the dual. They have a guy named yusef certified by the serrota fit school, so he knows what he's doing. They are an hour-hour and 1/2 north or philly. If you want to give them a call their number is (570) 602-RIDE. Hope this helps.

Bob
Quote Reply
Re: help! good bike shop in Philly/Mid-Atlantic area? [P2kman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
live in center city philly. have been going to same place since i moved here. is located at 22st and South St. is called Elite bicycles, they specialize in tri bikes and fitting. ask for David Greenfield, he's the owner.(www.elitebicyles.com)

highly recommend Elite. have been a customer for 2 years and can't say enough good stuff about David or his shop.

ELITE BICYCLES 22nd and South st
Philadelphia PA
19146-2344
Phone: 215-681-5925
fax: 215-545-1746
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About 1 1/2 hour drive from Philly is Baltimore. On the Northwest side is Trispeed Multisports. I think this is on Dan's list, not sure. Anyway, this is the shop owned by Troy Jacobson. They do expert tri fittings and road fittings. I would however suggest that if you want one done there, do it either by this Thursday or wait until Tuesday. They are the main sponsor of the Eagleman 1/2 IM this coming weekend and the shop will be closed from Friday until Tuesday. www.tri-speed.com

Depending on how long you're here, every weekend they have group rides, and now open water swim/ride/runs that are open to everyone.

- Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.
P. J. O'Rourke
Quote Reply
Re: help! good bike shop in Philly/Mid-Atlantic area? [chris in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with Chris...go to Tri-Speed...Troy Jacobson knows his stuff.

Just ask Joanna Zieger...she was one of his triathletes that he coached.
Quote Reply