Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sew-up glue question for you.
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'm in the process of glueing a tire that was previously mounted on another rim to a new rim. Do I need to add glue to the tire again or is the residual glue enough? When I pulled the tire off the old rim (which was a chore and a half) the glue seemed "powdery." Also what should the consistancy of new glue be? In other words how "liquidy" (or wet) should it be? I bought some Hutchinson glue for tubular tires. It seems a little "gooey" and not "runny" enough. As I apply a bead to the new rim (prepped), the glue itself pulls out more glue from the glue tube without me having to squeeze it. The glue doesn't spread like the rubber cement that I'm used to using when patching an inner tube. Might my glue be old?

Thanks,

E-Z

--It ain't a good idea to swim near MY bubbles! Tongue
Quote Reply
Re: Sew-up glue question for you. [E-Z] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) Yes, you do need to apply new glue to the tire.

2) Yes, it sounds like your glue is well past it's sell by date. The consistancy should be thinner than that. Throw the tube away and get some new glue (and I, personally, don't care for the hutchinson glue - would definately recommend either Conti or Vittoria instead.)

MH

Tech writer/support on this here site. FIST school instructor and certified bike fitter. Formerly at Diamondback Bikes, LeMond Fitness, FSA, TiCycles, etc.
Coaching and bike fit - http://source-e.net/ Cyclocross blog - https://crosssports.net/ BJJ instruction - https://ballardbjj.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sew-up glue question for you. [fredly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or heat the glue up slightly to make it more viscous.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Sew-up glue question for you. [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't recomend heating glue up. Fumes, flammable stuff, unattended heat source...you know :) LOL Actually if you imerse the tube in hot water it works, but its easier just to go out and guy new glue.

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Re: Sew-up glue question for you. [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
a trick to heat old glue. Go out side when its about 100 or so and just let the rim sit for 20min. Quite sticky and ready to go. Of course nothing beats a freshly cleaned rim and a brand new tube of glue.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Or get Tufo rim tape [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 If it is good enough for the British track team it is good enough for me. Man is it a b-tch to get off. And may slow a tire change down some too. G
Quote Reply