Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Why is second race always faster?
Quote | Reply
On many occations I've done back-to-back races over a wkend and almost every time my second race is always faster. Anyone care to figure out why this is? Simular experiences?

Having accepted this phenomenon, I have changed my taper strategy to include a light workout 2 days before a race, and a good, full-up workout the day before the event.

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Re: Why is second race always faster? [tricam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ask this question with respect, but are you really going all-out in the firts race? Knowing that you have a second hard effort planned, are you possibly holding back a bit on in the first race.

On a physiological note there is lab reaserch showing that short, hard, high-intensity efforts in the final week of tapering amounting to only a couple hours of training for the whole week, siginificantly elevate key physiological parameters and improve performance.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's a pretty kooky book that I picked up at a garage sale for a dime called "Consistent Winning." It is really good about helping you set up periodization, etc, but the kookiness comes in the way it goes about doing so.

Everything is based on the Fibonacci sequence of numbers that go something like: 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,etc. Fibonacci numbers are sort of based on tending towards the golden ratio or something to that effect. Anyway, for a race peak, the authors advocate the following:

active rest day, day off, day off, easy day, moderate day, race day (6 days total).

They call it a three day rest period followed by a three day peak. If that doesn't fit the schedule, then they suggest a day off followed by an easy day, a medium day, and then race day. That sounds like what you've done.

I don't religiously follow it, but find that it does seem to work.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Because you are going slower in your first race (basic physics.)

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Re: Why is second race always faster? [Ze Gopha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"although being single kinda blows. Cool "

You and Tom D. have got to figure something out.

I went thru a divorce at age 40 after being married for 15 yrs. Being that long off the dating scene it was like a fish out of water. Totally out of touch. Didn't know where to start.

A friend of mine suggested placing an ad in the personals of the local newspaper. My initial reaction was "you're not serious".

He assured me that it would work if I made the ad humerous and mentioned that I had a golden retriever. (The ex got the house, I got the dog, but that's another story). Did what he said and got 23 replies.

See - there's nuthin' to it.
Quote Reply