Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Warmup Question
Quote | Reply
Prior to my bike and run workouts I do about a half hour of ab, core, and static stretching exercises. Yesterday I read on the Peak Performance website that I should be doing dynamic stretching exercises prior to my workouts and leave the static stretches for after the workout. Can anyone describe dynamic stretching exercises for each of the sports or point me to a resource on the web? Also, what does everyone else do as a warmup? BTW, I always work out first thing in the morning.
Quote Reply
Re: Warmup Question [TriDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Running:
1 mile easy
10-15 min light stretching (static)

Biking:
Hop on and warm up on the bike

Swimming:
700-1000yd warm up prior to main set
2000ish main set
100-300yd cooldown

I can't comment on dynamic stretching, but I think Triathlete magazine did an article on it last year. I DO follow the rule: 'Never stretch a cold muscle' pretty strictly.

Hope this helps. FWIW.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't mean to sound dismissive or disprespectful -- but what is this "warming up" routine? I mean, I stumble out of bed at 5:30 and I'm running easy pace by 5:40. By around 5:50 I'm awake and warmed up. Then I amp up the pace to that day's particular target.

I can't imagine taking 30 minutes of valuable aerobic conditioning time to do that stuff on the floor before running or riding. By the time 30 minutes are up, I'm half done with my run. The only thing that warms me up for a run is running; the only thing that warms me up for a ride is riding.

Of course, I stretch after runs and rides (calves, hams, glutes). I do core excercises twice a week as a standalone workout. But the only time I stop and stretch after a warmup is if I'm going to be running really hard -- like track or hill repeats (which I basically never do anymore). Otherwise, the warmup miles and the rest of the miles are just one integrated thing.

You might try just heading out the door and starting slow. When you've got a little boil going, ramp up the effort to that day's goal workout. Those early miles will both warm you up and add to your conditioning.

...just an alternate point of view.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was taught to do "active isolated stretches" - these are likely what you are referring to as dynamic stretches. I don't have a website for you - and I had to be shown several times to get it right - but here's an example -

To stretch hamstrings - you lie on your back - bend your right knee. You'll be stretching your left hamstring. You then do a straight leg lift by firing your hip flexors - you go until your left leg is pointing straight up in the air and you feel a stretch in the hamstrings - keep your ankle at about 90 - don't point your toes. You should feel a stretch in your hamstrings and its all by activating the opposing muscle group - you then grab your thigh above the knee and pull slightly to increase the stretch - hold for 1-2 seconds and drop the leg back to the floor. Repeat x 10. The whole theory is based on using opposing muscle groups to stretch their opposite muscle groups.....Hard to write out - need pictures/someone to show you.
Quote Reply
Re: Warmup Question [Julian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Julian, I'm with you.

The best warm-up to biking is slow biking. The best warm-up to running is slow running. The best warm up to swimming is slow swimming.

Why? Because each activity specifically warms up the muscles that you'll be using for that activity.

For someone as old and slow as I am, this warm up comes naturally. For my daily 5 mile run, I warm up by running very slowly for 2.5 miles, and then cool down by running very slowly for 2.5 miles. End of exercise.

Seriously, when I do long tempo runs, intervals, or mile repeats, I make sure I've warmed up by running at least one mile and sometimes two.

What happens when you don't warm up? I ran a marathon a year ago in hopes of BQing. The start was downhill in the cold. I didn't warm up properly, took at a pace 15 sec faster than planned, and got a muscle tear between mile 13 and 14. I struggled to the finish 10-15 minutes over my BQ time, with visible internal bleeding from the muscle tear.

On a positive note, it was that injury that got me into triathlon. Because I couldn't run for a month or so, I started biking and swimming.

====================================
Do not take counsel of your fears.--Andrew Jackson
Quote Reply