Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Frank Day...PC Maintainence Question
Quote | Reply
Frank

I noticed that when I pedal backwards that the drive side crank sticks a bit through about 10 degrees of rotation. It doesn't stick per se but it just seems to rub on something and gets a little difficult to turn through about 10 degrees. This only occurs while pedaling backwards. Any ideas? Also, I can't seem to get the dust cover off. I have removed the retaining alan screw and have bent two quarters beyond recognition trying to get it off. The cranks are still rideable but I figure that I had better try to figure out why they are sticking. Thanks for your help.

Mike P.
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day...PC Maintainence Question [Mike Prevost] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I also am having a problem with my pc's. (I got them used at a swap meet). the screw on the crank side comes loose while riding. On my first long ride with pc's it came off and I realized it one mile later. Fortunately I was able to go back and find it. Now I have to stop frequently and tighten the bolt. Any solutions?

Jon Bergmann
http://jonbergmann.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
don't forget the dust cap is reverse threaded on one side..... i think the drive side (counter-intuitive considering pedals are the other way)....

also, i think that is the case only for newer cranks.

It's not easy to juggle a pregnant wife and a troubled child, but somehow I managed to squeeze in 8 hours of TV a day - Homer Simpson
Quote Reply
Re: Frank Day...PC Maintainence Question [JBergmann] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
the screw on the crank side comes loose while riding.
Just tighten them down to about 350 pound-feet of torque and you'll be fine.. JUST KIDDING.
Quote Reply
I think... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that most of the PC'ers out there use a litle Loc-Tite on the threads. This apparenly solves the problem quite handily.

(I don't have PC's yet, but they're in the works one day)

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I think... [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beeswax. rub beeswaxon the threads of the set screw and the large dust covers. they will stay put 100% and spin smoothly off when you need them to. take a clue from g. petersen, tri-heads. beeswax is where it is at.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry for the delay Mike, I was at IM Utah.

I suspect you are trying to turn it the wrong way, if it is the drive side. The drive side is left threaded. If not get back.

The "binding" is of no practical significance unless it is so great that it will actually push your leg up. When you get it apart, I would clean it up and put some slickum (grease or oil) between the inner flange and crank and on the inner side of the end cap which should fix (or, at least, improve) that.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply