Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

June 23 - Weekly Check-in Thread
Quote | Reply
Sorry; a bit late with this. I've been pretty much 'off the grid' for the past two days - I think 15 min total of computer time :D

How was your week?

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: June 23 - Weekly Check-in Thread [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week totals:

swim - 4k (three swims, short obviously)
bike - 6 hours (four days of it, one day commuting)
run - 52.5 miles with two speed workouts (one submaximal 6 x 800s; the other 3 x 2 mi)
hike - 2.5 hrs (3 times)

5 days of doing well with eating. I am on an upswing - I got a Geneen Roth book called "Breaking Free from Emotional Eating" and that has been REALLY helpful. I'm reading it in bits and pieces (it's not meant to sit down and tear your way through).

Found a couple cute postcards to send my mom; one says "I moooose you" and the other "send more tourists, the last ones were delicious."

Today is our first camper day!!! We've had staff training for the first five days, and for seven days before that, I was getting ready to train my staff.

goals for this already-in-progress week:
swim - 2x (I haven't done any yet unless you count a super short open water swim setting up swim docks)
bike - six hours/four days
run - 5 days (I took one day off completely already; I needed a mental break. I went home and wanted to be HOME, not out at the track or on my bike, so I spent the day on the couch reading.)

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Jun 23, 10 3:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Goals for last week are to get back on track:
1) 4 PT/core sessions -- Done. I have 2 more weeks of 4 times per week PT and then I get to cut back to 2
2) Complete my 3 "runs" (2 min walk/1 min run)-- Got in almost 22 miles! I am becoming a run/wall star. I managed to run/walk a 10:45 min pace on my walk on Sunday.

Goals for this week:
1) 4 PT/Core sessions
2) Behave myself at the CHUG Beer Run 100 mile relay (aka don't run more than 3 legs)
3) Figure out why the heck I am so tired

Hope everyone has a good week.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last week didn't really do much due to virus/flu-ish thing turning into bronchitis. Tried running, which went extremely poorly - heart rate was sooooo high for a really slow pace and the run did my chest and its pains no favours.

Still getting over it so we'll see this week - maybe do a light run in the next few days, Saturday s/b/r, Sunday I have some volunteer stuff planned but it may get cancelled, if so I'll do a run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
last week's goals:

- 4 swims including 1 OWS: did 5 swims including an OWS. i needed a swim focus week anyway, so this was good!

- 2 core workouts: i did 1 really, really good one. also did a really thorough stretch in the whirlpool after my swim friday (15mins of working everything out), so i'll count this as semi-fail.

- 4-5 rides, even if short: also semi-fail. if i count the trip to AND the trip home from the pool on friday as separate rides, i got in 4 total. only 1 of said rides was on my TT bike (others were MTB and tanker's CX bike), and that was under 10mins just to test out the handling of the race wheels i'm using on saturday. i think for the entire week i put in about 1 solid workout's worth of cycling..

- keep up running consistency: win. even though it took leaving for an hour's run at 11.15pm on saturday night when i *really* didn't want to.

this week:

- get workouts done early and get some good sleep, and maintain my taper strategy (short but vigorous)

- get experience with crosswinds running deep front wheel and disc rear (did this last night, with some climbing)

- get new shoes broken in for saturday (did this monday evening with a swim-run brick)

- don't get hit by lightning on tonight's run

- have everything packed up and ready to go thursday evening so we can leave right when we get home friday

- don't spend TOO much time setting up or chatting when we camp friday night in a friend's backyard (10mins from race site, saving us a 1.5hr drive from home); the idea is to get good sleep!

- have fun and race well on saturday, then whoop it up around the campfire with friends on saturday night!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Last week:
Last week was just excellent! I had my first ever half iron race, and everything just went perfectly, I felt so strong the whole time, it was A LOT of fun! :) Also, I ended up beating my goal time by 15 min, and ran my first ever half-marathon-without-walking-even-once (yes, this is HUGE for me, I hate running so much...). Anyway, my final time was 5:58:42.5, so I went under 6 hrs too (this is also huge for me, although I know its slow by some standards. But I was stoked.)

As far as my goals, I skipped one short run, but that was it. Still not completely sure what I'm going to do about improving my running - I think for now I will add short, easy runs (3mi-ish) to my training plan so I'm running most every day, just to get out there more often? Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but we will see how it works.

Goals this week!
Workouts: just back to the plan, nothing exciting - Swim: 3 (1 OW); Bike: 3 medium, 1 long (85 mi!); Run: 3 short, 2 medium, 1 long.
Other: 1) Figure out my swim stroke - I was experimenting with a shorter stroke in the race, bc it was REALLY choppy, and I was a lot faster. So play around with this in the pool. 2) Run more!! Actually follow the plan and do my intervals/hills/etc!

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Last edited by: FeltLikeTriing: Jun 23, 10 12:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you working at a summer camp this summer? What kind, what's your role? I am jealous; I worked at a general sleep-away camp for three years and miss it every summer.

-----

"Alice laughed. `There's no use trying,' she said 'one can't believe impossible things.' `I daresay you haven't had much practice,' said the Queen. `When I was your age, I always did it for half-an-hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast!'"
Quote Reply
Re: June 23 - Weekly Check-in Thread [mistressk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
- keep up running consistency: win. even though it took leaving for an hour's run at 11.15pm on saturday night when i *really* didn't want to.

You. Are. Crazy. Amazing.

Definitely a win, I wish I had your motivation/dedication!! Nice work.

-----

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My goal was 70-80k of running and sherpa-ing for P at the Victoria 1/2IM. Well Monday I felt something not right after my short & easy run at lunch; felt like crap a few hrs later (head ache, tired, etc.) I think I overdid it the day before. :-( Took a few days off, short & easy run felt ok, took a few more days off, then finished up with a good weekend (a double on Sat, and a 1h30 on Sunday). Managed 45k and am feeling MUCH MUCH better.

This week: 2-3 short runs with pick-ups/short intervals/strides. Sunday: ScotiaBank 1/2marathon. Still trying for that magic time on the clock, and if I can't do it at this race (net downhill course) then I should just wait til I'm 40 to try to BQ.

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: June 23 - Weekly Check-in Thread [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup, assistant director at a summer camp. I'm soooo tired! Day camp, thank goodness.

Quote Reply
Re: June 23 - Weekly Check-in Thread [Teags] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hope you feel better soon.

Quote Reply
Re: June 23 - Weekly Check-in Thread [FeltLikeTriing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As far as my goals, I skipped one short run, but that was it. Still not completely sure what I'm going to do about improving my running - I think for now I will add short, easy runs (3mi-ish) to my training plan so I'm running most every day, just to get out there more often? Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but we will see how it works.

Congrats on your first HIM. Even more impressive to have your first entirely running half marathon as the run of a tri!

Adding short, easy runs is a great way to work on running - consistency and frequency is key and that adds both.

don't forget to recover from the race...

Quote Reply