Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

San Diego Int' Tri - Bike course info
Quote | Reply
 Thinking of doing the sprint race at the San Diego International Tri on 6/29. Bike portion is described as - "Hilly" 20km bike to Carbrillo National Monument and back.

Link to
[url=http://www.kozenterprises.com/Pages/sandiegointermap.html]course map[/url]

Start in Spanish Landing
W Harbor
Lt Scott St (run parallel to Rosecrans St)
Rt Canon St
Canon --> Catalina Blvd ---> Carbrillo Memorial Dr
Retrace route back to Spanish Landing

Mapped out the course using my Thomas Guide and it shows a gate on Catalina Blvd where it becomes Cabrillo Memorial Dr and enters the Fort Rosecrans Military Reservation.

[b]My question.[/b] Is it possible to ride this route in training? Does the military facility allow cyclists to pass through the gate (Camp Pendleton does not)?

I'm going to contact the RD but thought I might get a quick answer here. If you [b]can not ride onto the military base[/b], can anyone give any on how 'hilly' the bike route is.

TIA
maurice

Why do HTML tags appear in post??
Last edited by: mauric6943: May 28, 03 10:18
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego Int' Tri - Bike course info [mauric6943] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you cannot use HTML tags here, you must use markup tags as allowed, click the 'switch to basic editor' below for details

anyway, the course is definately open for riding, during daylight hours. at night the gate is closed, the peninsula at Cabrillo houses a Navy facility as well and they close the highway at night.

I believe that the course is actually 30k. I plan on racing the course as well and I have rode it several times.

from T1 you ride out to the OLD pt loma light, back to the gate, back to the light, and then back to T2

it is no more hilly than camp pendleton, the "hill" is actually rolling hills, the highest being about 650 ft.

the course is all open to traffic as well but there are bike lanes.
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego Int' Tri - Bike course info [mauric6943] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
also, their web site says that the race is sold out - hope you registered - I'm just racing the bike course that day - improptu 30k time trial
Quote Reply
Re: San Diego Int' Tri - Bike course info [TimeTrial.org] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Gary

I only plan to do the Sprint race (20K bike) so I am assuming the bike is the same minus the turn around you mentioned.

I am not registered yet but there is some type of "last chance entry' at Nytro next month. 100 spots, first come first serve.

maurice
Quote Reply