Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best time of day to workout
Quote | Reply
An article in CNN today sugests the best time of day to workout is the late afternoon. Persoanlly I work out in the morning and in the afternoon. I do this more out of convience rather than performance. In the morning I swim and do my weight stuff since it is at the gym. In the afternoon I run or bike.

What is better? I know that I am usually much more stiff in the morning so I do kinda prefer to swim in the morning because it is easier on my muscles (or at least it feels like it is). Besides it is usually dark still and I would rather not run or bike in the dark for fear of getting creamed by some driver who hasn't had their morning coffee yet.

Rusty

"Strategy? The strategy was in the preparation" - Lance Armstrong after winning 2000 TDF
Quote Reply
Re: Best time of day to workout [Rusty D] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn;t see the CNN piece but I do remember reading that most world records are set in the late PM. However, where there's a cause and effect relationship is unclear to me.

Irony can be humorous, but it does not have to be.

"I've always said that an Ironman is a reflection of your character" - Kevin Moats
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure of the science of this either. For myself, I like working out in the heat of the day, especially here in Tampa. Working through a long, hot run is as much of a mental game as anything else. I really think that it depends on the individual though. Again, what does the science say? eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The best time of day to train is the time that you will do it. The time that you have available is the time that you should do it.

tommy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't know anything about the science or theory of the best time to train...but for me, 90% of my training happens before 7AM and after 5PM. I notice no real percieved differences if I do it in the AM or PM. Interestingly, when I train (very rare) at lunchtime, I don't "feel right". And, if I miss an AM workout for whatever reason, my morning doesnt seem complete.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a random thought to put in:
Because of my crazy school schedule I end up doing a lot of my workouts in the afternoon, one right after the other and that causes me to get really hungry late at night as compared to doing them as one in the morning and one in the evening. This really messes with my metabolism and after a while it starts to catch up with you (eating at night a lot). But doing workouts so close together has done one thing and that's made my biking huge compared to before. I would say workout whenever you can, but if possible do your doubles one in the morning and one at night. Just my two cents.
Quote Reply
Re: Best time of day to workout [KalamazooTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
But doing workouts so close together has done one thing and that's made my biking huge compared to before. .
Just wondering what you mean by it making your biking huge. I'm willing to try anything to make my biking "huger."
Last edited by: bosco: May 28, 03 12:44
Quote Reply