Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [MustGoFaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally figured out for myself that I needed to be very technical and get one bolt slightly threaded and then jiggle the stem into place rather than push down. Thankfully it's in on.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm back with a different, but related, question. In order to get the basebar back on with the new stem I had to shorten the front brake cable and housing. Put everything back together and then realized that the brake pads are set way too wide. I didn't think I'd done anything to make that happen, but they won't engage the rim because of how wide they are. How do I adjust the width?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
I'm back with a different, but related, question. In order to get the basebar back on with the new stem I had to shorten the front brake cable and housing. Put everything back together and then realized that the brake pads are set way too wide. I didn't think I'd done anything to make that happen, but they won't engage the rim because of how wide they are. How do I adjust the width?
If you look at your picture, there are set screws visible on the side of the caliper arms. Those are actually accessible through a small hole in the brake cover too. You can thread the set screw in or out to adjust the width of the brake calipers.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [ryans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ryans wrote:
MustGoFaster wrote:

If you look at your picture, there are set screws visible on the side of the caliper arms. Those are actually accessible through a small hole in the brake cover too. You can thread the set screw in or out to adjust the width of the brake calipers.

Perfect - thanks for that. I had read about the set screws but didn't realize they would allow that much adjustment.

One more "dumb" question. How is the tilt supposed to work on the monobar. Is it just a matter of tightening the fore or aft bolt more than the other to get the desired tilt or is there more to it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MustGoFaster wrote:
ryans wrote:
MustGoFaster wrote:

Perfect - thanks for that. I had read about the set screws but didn't realize they would allow that much adjustment.

One more "dumb" question. How is the tilt supposed to work on the monobar. Is it just a matter of tightening the fore or aft bolt more than the other to get the desired tilt or is there more to it?

Yes. Just make sure you tighten them incrementally until they both hit the torque spec at about the same time.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
MustGoFaster wrote:
ryans wrote:
MustGoFaster wrote:

Yes. Just make sure you tighten them incrementally until they both hit the torque spec at about the same time.

Understood, thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where can I find the internal diameter of the mono extension? Looking at mounts for SRAM wireless blips and they give options for 18-20mm internal or 20-22mm internal but I can't find the info.

Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty standard sizes for extensions.
Just measured the S-Bend I have for sale - External diameter is 22.2 mm and internal ~19.0 mm or so. Hope this helps.

---------------------------------
T. Guertin / Spocket
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [spocket] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great - thank you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey guys just want to know what size and configuration for new speed concept slr

Centre of bb to back of pads
Stack=650mm
Reach=490mm
Saddle hight centre of bb to rail clamps= 705 ish
Pad width c to c= 125mm
Pad and aero bar angle 15'
Saddle setback= -30mm
Last edited by: Jmcn: Jan 16, 24 10:59
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Jmcn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jmcn wrote:
Hey guy just want to know what size and configuration for new speed concept slr

Centre of bb to back of pads
Stack=650mm
Reach=490mm
Saddle hight centre of bb to rail clamps= 705 ish
Pad width c to c= 125mm
Pad and aero bar angle 15'
Saddle setback= -30mm

My 2 cents:

Large Frame
Far Tower Topper
Low rise base bar
45mm tower base
Short seat post

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There's another thread focussed on the new SLR. Also if you look at the Trek website on the SLR page then in the 'Service' section there's a 'fit chart' PDF - why it's not linked in geometry is a mystery... SCFitData_nov21.pdf (windows.net)

That said, whilst you've a few frame options (M, L, XL), 490 reach puts you needing a far topper on all.

The L and XL would put you in middle of reach adjustment (452 to 511/471 to 530), the M right at the limit of the 492 max.

Stackwise you've got lots of options, but assume you go mid rise bar (some prefer the aesthetics) then on the Large you're going to be 30mm tower and not a lot of spacer. The advantage of going for one of the other bars is that it puts you in range of adjusting down a touch with the shims and not changeing the tower.
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Duncan74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok yea thanks I definitely dont need to go any lower so the standard mid rise bar should work, will the bike co.e with angled spacers to make it 14 degrees?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is where it/I found it to get complicated.

If you buy off the shelf, then it will come with mid base and mid topper that doesn't have the reach you need, so you'd need to buy those parts that I think would be a couple of hundy. But would come with the spacers for the angles and the 5 & 10mm shim.

However, if you go Project One, then it will come with the right toppers/towers, and you specify the angle you want (ie the shim to go from native 7degree to 14). You can always take that out or put the other way to get the other angles (0,7). I'm still awaiting my P1 to arrive (only Half Ironman of the year on this Saturday, sigh) so slightly basing on what others have said (ie await others to chime in - or better post on the other thread) but I don't think you get any 'spares' as such. I think it's the Cadex frame that comes with all the spacers, Trek just gives you what you specify then you need to buy anything to change as separate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you buy a project one, the bike will come with the tower toppers, tower base, base bar, and seat post you specify prior to order. It will not come with any of the other tower toppers, tower bases, base bars, or seat posts. The p1 order will also come 5 mm spacers, 7 deg spacers, and -7 deg spacers. The tower toppers are angled at 7 degrees by design so if you add a 7 deg spacer as well, you will get 14 deg.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I recently bought a speed concept and am looking for advice on what accessories are worth getting since the bike came with nothing.

I'd like the bontrager draft box but I can't find them anywhere, if anyone has one they'd like to sell please let me know, so was thinking of something like the Topeak Tri-Backup Pro Mount so I can add a bag to it.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Aiken27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got one last year as well on a great deal -

depending on distance u will need a vento and saddle bag; other than that, that bike is amazing!

The entire event (IM) is like "death by 1000 cuts" and the best race is minimizing all those cuts and losing less blood than the other guy. - Dev
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [LuisDF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, thanks for the reply.

I'm signed up for ironman Bolton 70.3 and ironman Wales. Those races were the main reason for getting a tri bike, I just need to figure out what I'll need to carry on the bike and how.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [Aiken27] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd suggest looking here and ebay. Hopefully you will find one. Have you called a trek shop to see if they can order you one?
Quote Reply
Re: Official Speed Concept Owners Thread [G. Belson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update: was able to get my frame replaced in warranty. As a bonus I have new brakes and a new seat post (the old rear brake started to get corrosion).Trek is awesome and I'm stoked to ride an essentially new and and still very fast bike for the next few years :)

G. Belson wrote:
My trusted SC 7.5 seems to be falling apart after 8 years. I love this bike and it fits me perfectly after so many tweaks and upgrades over the years.
It started with the top tube bento bosses - paint bubbled / peeled around them, some corrosion going on and the end result is that one of them is now stuck in the frame spinning freely.
Most recently, one of the seat post clamp bolts seems to be be in the early stages of coming loose from the frame despite always being super anal about torquing to spec (using the trek 5 Nm torque wrench) and making sure it's evenly tightened on both sides etc. I probably haven't changed the seat height in 3 years either. The seat post is not slipping yet but it will innevitably become worse I'm afraid.

What are the chances I could get my frame warrantied and does Trek still have any Speedconcept 2 frame stock? I love this bike and I'm reluctant to go through the whole process again (buying a new bike, switching from rim brakes to disc brakes, fit and front end tweaking etc.).

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Black downtube bottle [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Before I bought my Speed Concept I saw the video below which shows an athlete refilling her BTA bottle on the go from the downtube black bottle. In reality this is not practically possible as the downtube bottle lacks a self sealing valve and any attempt to refill inevitably ends up in liquid all over the bars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mZ_xBJ8vU8Y

Am I missing something or this was just a misleading ad with an empty downtube bottle?

Quote Reply

Prev Next