Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Superior and inferior pubic rami stress fracture
Quote | Reply
Hello ladies,

After training for about 1 month with what I thought was ischial bursitis and/or a possible aggravation of an old healed femoral neck stress fracture, I went to have an MRI 2 days ago to find out what was going on. It turns out that I have a stress fracture in my superior pubic ramus AND my inferior pubic ramus! So obviously I have cancelled my July half-ironman in hopes of getting back to racing by mid-November (an olympic tri). I am currently not running (duh!) but am swimming, biking, and running on an underwater treadmill.

Have any of you dealt with the following injuries? If so, what worked best for maintaining your training fitness? How long were you side-lined?

Any advice would be appreciated! (Especially if there are any MD's out there!
Quote Reply
Re: Superior and inferior pubic rami stress fracture [Tri_Dietitian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Get a 2nd opinion. I had a similar diagnosis by a physiatrist in 2003, based on the reading of bone scan results not an MRI. In the end, the problem was soft tissue and not bone. The activity seen on the bone scan was misinterpreted by the physiatrist.
Quote Reply
Re: Superior and inferior pubic rami stress fracture [Tri_Dietitian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cycling may NOT be a good idea. You are putting weight and pressure on fractured bones.

A friend of mine recently had a femoral neck fracture (different spot but same area) and couldn't even water run for six weeks - just swim.

Hip injuries are nothing to mess with.

I wish you speedy healing.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife had a sf of the pubic ramis a while ago. Her doc (who is a runner and a great doc all around) had her aquajogging for 3-4 weeks before moving onto cycling until week 7 or so then elliptical machine to week 9 or 10 and then a slow reintroduction to running.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a man but also have a single sfx of the pubic ramus bone. It started back in the middle of March, so I am now at about week 11 in the recovery. However, I didn't find out I had the sfx until the beginning of May. I tried to run a couple times in March and early April but have stayed away from running since.

My doc has advised me to not run--that's it. We specifically talked about cycling and he explained that because this is a repetitive use injury and is specific to running, it should be OK to cycle. Even with that, I've been cautious about cycling until a week ago. This weekend, I rode twice, once for 45 mins and once for an hour. I'm feeling fine. I'm also walking at this point with little problem . .. maybe just a little tightness in the groin area. In addition, I'm swimming three times per week.

I hope to get back to some running in the next 4 - 8 weeks. Crossing my fingers. :-)
Quote Reply