Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Feeling Sick on the Run, any advice?
Quote | Reply
Hello,

I have just finished my third triathlon, all sprints, and am very frustrated. Each time I have done a reasonable swim, then picked it up on the bike, then get to the run with plenty of energy but my stomach just won't let me do anything. I start the run off slow, but even then waves of nausea prevent me from doing anything but jog painfully round the course. I finish the race, my stomach sorts itself out, and then I'm full of energy. An hour after this morning's tri, I did a 25km ride full out ...

The first time it happened, I blamed it on the sports drink I had a bit of at the end of the bike, but the last two times I have just drank water and it still happened.

I have only been tri training for about four or five months, is it because of this? Do I need more endurance training, or more brick training, going from bike to run?

I eat long before the race - this morning about 3 hours, then don't eat anything, just a sports drink beforehand. Should I eat something?

I'm totally stumped, and annoyed, because this has spoiled every race I've entered. Its made me tempted to try just bike racing instead.

Anyone else had this and found any cures? Any help very gratefully received.

chaz
Quote Reply
Re: Feeling Sick on the Run, any advice? [chazbaps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same problem when I started last year and it ended up being that my aero-position wasn't allowing me to digest very well (or at least that's what I was told) but when I was re-fitted to the bike things got much better and my run splits got faster and faster. You could also try doing some brick workouts to train your body for the bike-run transition and during those test your sports drink, although in a sprint triathlon the sports drink probably won't do you much good.
Quote Reply