Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pollen
Quote | Reply
I've just been on my usual 9km medium paced run and seemed to have some difficulty getting enough oxygen to go at my usual pace. I've spent the last five days in London and was wondering if this coupled with a particularly high pollen count here could explain my shortness of breath. I'm only 27 and am assuming it isn't heart related. I didn't have a HRM on to provide any additional info. Can any medics shed some light on any effects pollen may have on a hay-fever susceptible individual partaking in a cheeky evening constitutional?

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have allergies. There is a big difference in how well I breath when I've taken my antihistamine and when I haven't.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude, I vaguely remember seeing a story about a UK triathlete blaming not making the Commonwealth team due to a qualifying race being held somewhere particularly 'polleny'. Would it follow from this that antihistimines are classified as performance enhancers by the IOC and to be avoided by those who are tested?

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The short answer is "yes." I've had allergy-related asthma forever, but I'm still learning about it. It was explained to me recently that sinus reactions to allergens can trigger a secondary reaction in the lungs. Similar to but more disruptive than normal asthma, it can be like someone sitting on your chest.

This doctor evidently knew what he was talking about, because a combination of a nasal steroid and a once/day asthma pill has me back to normal training. In my case, I'm betting the problem (and the pills) will go away as soon as I move out of the @&#/*$!! building where my office is just now. Yours could well do the same with a change of environment. If not, see a smart doc!
Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers. That sounds pretty similar to how I felt. I'll wait and see if it keeps recurring then take a trip to the Doc.

Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [flyebaby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What did the doctor specifically prescribe for you. I have really mild asthma, but since my allergies have started my asthma is getting pretty bad. Making it harder to train and function normally. Any suggestions!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Since I've moved out of south Texas, I've had bad seasonal allergies. There is definitely a performance hit. You can see this in resting HR as well. I try and avoid the decongestants but some times you just need relief.

OTOH, just being in London itself could provide enough pollution to reduce performance even without pollen allergies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IIRC, the problem isn't the antihistamines themselves. It's just that many of them make you drowsy, so the manufacturers combine them with pseudoepherdrine, or they're mixed with decongestants, which also cause problems regarding anti-doping.

According to USA Swimming, plain old Claritin (but not Claritin containing anything extra) is okay. (http://www.usswim.org/coaches/99cocurr.htm)

And I've noticed it helps to make sure to rinse off sun glasses on a regular basis because pollen does coat them after a while.
Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My doc prescribed Allegra D and Allegra 60mg in addition to nasonex. I was switched to nasacort aq due to headaches and insurance. I take the D in the morning and the 60mg at night. No complaints on the drugs, they work for me. I don't drip snot all day if I take the meds. I forgot to take my antihist this morning. It got windy this afternoon. I could tell a difference, itchy and watery eyes, hacked up 1/2 of a lung and sneezed out the other half. Nose running faster than I was.
Ironically I spent about 40 days in London from Sept to Mar, the bulk in Dec/jan and my allergies never bothered me.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kyrocket - I'm on Rhinocort, an inhaled nasal aerosol, and Singulair, a one/day tablet. I was on Proventil and the like for years, but it was useless when I changed environments. With these two now, I don't touch the inhaler. Beware of Atrovent, if a doctor suggests it - very annoying side effects.
Quote Reply
Re: Pollen [KYROCKET] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I know drugs are different in Canada and the US, but over here I've been an addict of Claritin Extra for years. Unfortunately I *do* see it raise my heart rate during training (at least 10bpm) but without it, I'm useless. I'm now using the combination of Claritin Liberator and a prescription nasal spray "Nasonex" and its amazing. I think the popular choice among doctors here is "Reactine", but it didn't work for me. (Its "safer" as it doesn't use pseudoephedrine. The docs I've dealt with all have reservations about prescribing me Claritin Extra (its an over the counter medication but if its prescribed I can save myself from paying taxes)

Also, I'll just point out that if you're considering allergy desensitization shots, I think its worth a try. I stopped a number of years ago as it didn't seem to do much for me but now my allergies seem to be getting worse so I might just go back to it.

Then again I'm also cocooned inside an air conditioned workplace now as opposed to three years ago when I was always outside procrastinating on campus...
Quote Reply