Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

speedplay on shimano
Quote | Reply
Does shimano tri shoes work well with spedplay x2?

Are these a good and confortable choice for the long course triathlons?

tanks guys

=====================================
S�rgio Marques
When it hurts is when it feels good ;-)
Sergio-Marques.com
Quote Reply
Re: speedplay on shimano [sergiopica] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I purchased a pair of the Shimano Tri shoes from Performance Bike for use with X-2 Speedplay pedals(which I already had). When I looked thru the Speedplay documentation prior to attaching the cleats, I found that they are not recommended for use with carbon soled Shimano shoes. I called Speedplay direct and they said that due to the width of the carbon soled shoes, the X-2 is not acceptable with the Shimano tri shoe. Only the Zero is an acceptable cleat/pedal.

Luckily, I had not opened the packaging for my new pair of X-2 pedals so I was able to exchange/pay the difference for Zero pedals. I have attached the Zero cleats to the Shimano shoes but have not yet had a chance to take them out for a ride. The shoes do feel very comfortable.

The Shimano shoes and the Speedplay Zero pedals have gotten really good reviews. One place to look at reviews of both products is at www.bikesportmichigan.com

Hope that this helps!

David
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used the new Shimano tri shoes with X-2s for the last couple of months and it works just fine. I do not see or feel a difference with the Shimano shoes compared to the other shoes I haved used with the X-2s.
Also, I saw several photos in Inside Tri and Triathlete magazines of pros using this combo (yes, X-2s and not Zeros), prior to purchase.
On the Speedplay site, they say that 3 hole mount Shimano shoes are compatable, but Carbon SPD-R Y2K only are not compatable and need a longer spindle to release. The tri shoes are a 2002/2003 model and I have not had release problems with the standard spindle X-2.
Last edited by: jmh: May 27, 03 15:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Shimano TR01-Speedplay X2 combo for about 5 months now with no problems whatsoever. The TR01's are the most comfortable bike shoe I have ever had.

Mark
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've logged around 2,000 miles (including around 300 miles of racing) in my carbon soled Shimano tri shoes/Speedplay X-2 combo, and I didn't even know there was an issue of compatibility until I read this thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The issue concerns the width of the carbon sole on the Shimano shoes. Because it is larger than other shoes and Speedplay X series pedals require a wide arc of the foot to reach the release point, there is a chance that the shoe will hit the crankarm before release is achieved. It is more likely to happen with the larger size shoes. Many people use the Shimano/Speedplay combo with no problems but because there is a potential for one, speedplay must cover themselves and deem the shoe non compatable. The Zero pedals dont have this issue since the release angle is smaller.
Quote Reply