Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone got any ti[ps on rehabbing knees
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any tips on rehabbing knees. I was diagnosed with patellar tendinitis (due to tight quads from racing ironman Florida - I'm pretty sure of that) Just seem to be having a problem clearing this up. My knees seem to be staying irritated all the time :-( Despite massage and stretching. One thing that I am wondering, the physio told me to do one legged squats, but these seem to just re- inflame the knees. Anyone been there and done this?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got any ti[ps on rehabbing knees [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was diagnosed with the same thing about twelve years ago. I went to the sports med clinic at UBC and they started me doing eccentric squats with no weights (3 X 25) and then eventually doing the same but with dumbells of progressively higher weights. I was also told to to keep running and biking unless the pain was debilitating, which it never was.
I didn't find stretching helped me very much, but icing seemed to help. I wasn't using pain meds of any sort.
My left knee flares up now and then, but the knees have been relatively pain free for a long time.
You might consider posting your question on the main forum as there is more traffic over there and I'll bet a lot of other folks will chime in.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got any ti [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Thanks for replying. I did post on the main forum some time ago. Most people said rest. However, it is not obvious to me that rest is helping here, my knees just seem to `tighten up``
You are the first person to reply that they trained through it. So, I`m hoping that you will answer a few more questions.
Pain is not bad, just annoying.Knees are constantly irritated, which bugs me. When I bike, feels like someone applied deep heat to my knees (that is they burn a bit) When I run, not much in the way of symptoms at all.Occasional sharp pain first step of going up or down stairs (I've concluded that knees were not made to do stairs!)

I think that it is eccentric squats that I am having trouble with, did you do yours single leg?
I guess that for you the key to getting your knees better was doing the squats? And modified training?
Thanks in advance.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got any ti [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had patellar tendonitis from partially tearing my patellar tendon and not doing anything about it (once I was able to bend my knee again, I started running again).

We were also trying to break down scar tissue, but I had ultrasound done and some light thing that was supposed to help healing. Anyways, it got better - maybe look at more than the stretching and exercises?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got any ti [sidelined] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When my pain was at its worst, going up stairs was the toughest. My knees usually didn't hurt during runs or rides. The pain would normally occur after. The hot feeling you describe when riding is something I never experienced or heard of previously. If you haven't done this already, check your seat height. I find if I am just a wee bit too low the patellar tendon will feel the difference.

I wasn't doing single leg squats. The method prescribed by the two docs that saw me was to drop quickly while driving my knees forward over the toes. (That's contradictory to everything I was ever told about squats!). Like Teags mentioned in her reply, the idea there was to try and wear away the underlying scar tissue. If you like going to the gym, stay away from leg extensions. I've never been a fan of them, and every physio and sports med doc I've talked to advised me to steer clear of that evil machine.

There didn't seem to be any one striking entity that caused the pain to decrease, but I can tell you that consistency was and remains the key for me in staying healthy. In other words, don't take a week off running and then do a hard hour. Don't lay off the bike for days and then go out for four hours hard.

Lastly I will suggest that you see a sports med doc if you haven't already. They really seem to 'get' athletic people. They won't tell you to stop running or biking unless it is a more serious problem you are experiencing. Good luck!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would strengthen your VMO (medial quad muscle). When you do leg extensions or squats make sure you put a rolled up towel between your knees or a medium sized ball and squeeze the ball when you extend. This will help get the VMO to fire. Also, I would strengthen your hamstrings, check the height of your bike seat (maybe too low), continue stretching quads, and ice, ice, and ice (10-15 min at a time only).
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got any ti [jimmy d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi,
Thanks for replying in detail about your approach. I think that I have gone off the complete rest approach! I'm going to assimulate (Did I spell tht right?) the things that you have told me with the advice from the physio and go for "constency".
Thanks to the others for input as well (all knowledge is good - mostly)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone got any ti [sunnyla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like that VMO exercise. A PT showed me that one this fall.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BAXYL
Quote Reply