Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

I need new tires!
Quote | Reply
Since I got such good responses for my Splish suit question I am going to pose another question!

I have Zipp 404 650c clinchers. I bought them new last June. I love the wheels but I cannot change the tires for the life of me. I am fairly small with small hands but I am by no means a weakling. I think I changed one out, it took 2 hours, and I wound up with a pinch flat. I need to get new tires for them and I was wondering if anyone else could recommend something that might be even a tiny bit easier for me to change? Currently I have a pair of Bontrager RaceLite tires on there but I had to buy them in a pinch at a LBS and they were kind of old and they have some sidewall rotting going on so I need to replace them. I have 2 half-Irons races and Placid this summer so it's imperative that I be able to change a flat! I can and have change a flat with the training wheels no problem so it's not me just being an idiot! So if anyone could recommend a favorite race tire I'd be super happy!

---
IM Coeur D'Alene 2011
IM Wisconsin 2011
http://alexaharding.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Re: I need new tires! [JustJumpIt17] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vredestein Fortezza Tricomps are quite "loose"...

They roll really nicely, seem to hold up to some pretty high mileage, and corner well. Really I haven't been able to find a fault with them. For road/tri bike clinchers, they're my go-to tyre.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Re: I need new tires! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comps are great but you can't get them in 650c. In fact, you don't have too much selection anymore in 650c. I am currently using Vittoria Corsa EVO CX and they are great. You can pick them up at any of the online vendors.

Other 650 clinchers: Michelin and Continental make some. I haven't used either. They're probably fine too, and maybe less expensive than the Vittoria.

BrokenSpoke
Quote Reply
Re: I need new tires! [Khai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd try and work a two for one deal on this one.

Have a look at this chart:
http://www.biketechreview.com/...ire_testing_rev9.pdf

Pick a tire that's near the top. Make sure it's a folding tire (not a steel bead). That'll get you some free speed.

In my experience the Vittoria tires are pretty loose and should work well.

Also, it would be worth having your technique looked at by a pro. Working in a shop I've taught plenty of people how to change a tire. And, even having worked in a shop off and on most of my life I figured out a small change that allows me to change almost any tire w/o a tire lever. I consider it an insult when someone hands me one now :)

So, get some new tires, make sure they're fast and have someone make sure you're doing it right. Even the best tire is hard to mount if you're doing it wrong.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: I need new tires! [brokenspoke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Vredestein Fortezza Tri Comps are great but you can't get them in 650c.

That's funny - I could have sworn I had tricomps on my tri bike, but I just looked and they're the "regular" Fortezza's. I must have had the tricomps on my roadie. Still, the "regular" Fortezza is a great tyre - easy to mount, rolls nicely, corners well, and even though it's marketed as a "dry weather tyre" I've run them in lots of rain, cornering harder than most triathletes ever do, and they've held well. They seem pretty long wearing, as well...

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm in the same boat as you, except that I have zipp 808s, 700cc clinchers. I can tell you that Michelin Pro3s are a huge PITA, and my vittoria rubino's were also really difficult. It took both me and my fiance working together to get the tire back on- I can't even imagine having to do that on the road or in a race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I have 2 half-Irons races and Placid this summer so it's imperative that I be able to change a flat! I can and have change a flat with the training wheels no problem so it's not me just being an idiot! So if anyone could recommend a favorite race tire I'd be super happy!

a couple notes -

1. difficulty changing tires also has to do with the rim. some rim beds are simply more difficult to get tires on. it's super easy to get tires on xero wheels, whereas it's hell getting anything onto a shimano tiagra wheelset!

2. perhaps instead of working towards changing a flat, you should bring vittoria pitstop along with you during your race(s)? some people have had great experiences with it, others not so great, but ultimately you might as well bring one along with you + your regular tools for changing a flat. if it works great! if not, you've only wasted 1 minute or so :)

that having been said, my favourite tire for triathlons is vittoria's open corsa evo cx ... but it doesn't look like i can find any in 650c X 23mm in any online shops.

my second favourite tyre manufacturer is continental. i use conti gatorskins for training purposes half the time (the other half, i use vittoria rubino pros). note that i haven't used continental's triathlon tire, but it might be worth giving it a try if others in this thread agree.

probikekit is currently selling it for $43. that's likely a lot less than you'll pay anywhere else (msrp is $65 US!!). additionally, probikekit has a 10% off coupon - USA10 if you live in the US, or CAN10 if you live in canada - so a pair of tires will be less than $80. pbk does not charge shipping. it will take about 3 weeks for an order to reach you in north america.

hopefully this post helps a bit! good luck in your races this summer :)
Last edited by: tegra: Apr 27, 10 15:42
Quote Reply
Re: I need new tires! [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually have Vittoria Rubinos (I'm not sure if they are the Pros or not) on the stock wheels on my Cervelo which I ride on 3-4 times per week and I love them. I already went through one pair in a season and I'm on my 2nd pair. Maybe I will just go with those for my Zipps rather than something like Continentals. They are ridiculously expensive though! But if I can change them, I don't care!

---
IM Coeur D'Alene 2011
IM Wisconsin 2011
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Contis are often a tight fit although I'm happy with my 4000s tires.

Go up a few models though and get the EVOs or something if you're going to get Vittorias. There's a lot of free speed to be had there.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
They are ridiculously expensive though! But if I can change them, I don't care!

vittoria rubino pros are on sale for $22 on ribblecycles.co.uk.

shipping = ~$7.

expect it to take about ~4 weeks to arrive by mail (i just got mine yesterday - ordered them on march 23rd).

i would suggest getting something race-specific for your racing, though! the rubino pros really are training-specific tires (and possibly the best training tires in terms of bang-for-the-buck @ $22).
Last edited by: tegra: Apr 27, 10 17:06
Quote Reply
Re: I need new tires! [mayhew] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes perhaps I will upgrade to a racing model for my racing wheels.. makes sense!

---
IM Coeur D'Alene 2011
IM Wisconsin 2011
Quote Reply