Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need Wet Suit...Help
Quote | Reply
Looking to buy or my rent wet suit for my first tri..

I am having trouble I tried on Zoot and I felt like I was choking. I then switched to a Blue Seventy which somewhat fit in Med the legs were good but the chest was tight (the girls where squeezed). I did try a large and that was good in the chest but loose in the legs. The salesman recommended a sleeveless which was better but coming out the sides in the bust area.
Any suggestions???
I am 5"4 1/2" about 135lbs and 34C+/D
My race is in New Jersey June 20th but practice starts in May...Help
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [KG1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are two wetsuit companies that are well represented on here and are always happy to answer questions: De Soto and Nineteen.

Steve Fleck, Fleck, is the guy to contact for specifics on fit and Nineteen recommendations. He is really great about offering advice on what to look for in a wetsuit fit.

Emilio De Soto, Emilio, is also on here and you can send him a note.

I'll give them both a shout on Twitter and let them know this thread is here :-)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nineteen was the first wetsuit company to come out with a fully distinct and specific womens fit pattern. We did this with our frist line of wetsuits 10 years ago and we have been refining that womens fit for 10 years. It is a strength of ours.

Is this the first time that you have shopped for a triathlon wetsuit?

How many races are you planning on doing this year?

Will you be able to use the wetsuit for open water swim training, and not just triathlon races?

Where will you be shopping for the wetsuit?

Is the idea of a sleeveless wetsuit your choice?

Please read over two blogs that I have written on the subject wetsuit fit. You may find them helpful.

http://stevefleck.blogspot.com/...s-all-about-fit.html

http://stevefleck.blogspot.com/...ss-for-wetsuits.html

We can carry on the conversation here or you can PM me if you wish.

Hope this helps.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
further to fleck's post above, i have a nineteen pipeline and it fits really well. the female-specific shaping works for me (5'8" @ 145lbs wearing a WS - heavier than recommended for that size, but more muscular than chubby so it works for me), though i'm more like a 34B/C up top.

edit: i also have a short torso and long legs, so the WS torso length is good for me but the legs only come down to mid-calf.

cheers!

-mistress k

Last edited by: mistressk: Apr 20, 10 8:56
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am having trouble navigating this site and what is and how do you PM???

I am new to the tri world...and have only been training a few months. My first open water swim is May 8th first event is May15?maybe then June 5 and June 12 open water swim and real event June20th 1/3 mile swim in Lavalette, NJ. All the swims are in the Barnegate Bay, NJ
Not sure how many more I will do and when.

I tried the wetsuits on at Campmor and Ridgewood Cycle shop but was planning on renting from wetsuitrental.com They have been wonderful on the phone and suggested the nineteen. they would send me both sleeved and sleeveless.

It was suggested that I may want to think sleeveless for several reasons.
Fit my chest better
Water temp and I tend to overheat easy
Clautrophobic

Thank you for your help in advance,
Kimberly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To PM him, click on his username to get to his profile. At the bottom there is a button to send him a private message.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [JenHS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you now I get it
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nineteen was the first wetsuit company to come out with a fully distinct and specific womens fit pattern.//

I think you would get some argument from Dan on that one. I think it was the early 90's when he designed the QR suit just for women, little bigger in hips, in the bust area of the top, and shorter torsos. Not sure if QR still has that line, havent heard of it in sometime. So maybe you are the 2nd??? (-;
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We went to the Endurosport Outlet today and I picked up a Nineteen Pipeline - very excited!

Quick question though - it's a bit long in the arms and legs (size down did not agree with my hips however) - my bf was thinking we could cut them - does this have to be done specially? Do we just tape the seam (with what kind of tape)?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi KG1970! I would recommend the De Soto T1 as you can customize the fit because it is a two-piece suit. Even better, you can call De Soto and they have an expert, over the phone, get you into the right size suit immediately. Finally, they have a 15-day guarantee, which will allow you to try the wetsuit- even in the ocean- and return it if you don't like it! So there is essentially no risk involved. Call De Soto at: 1.800.453.6673. I'm not an expert, but I'd guess that you'd be in a size 2 bibjohn (bottom) and a size 2 or 3 pullover. They'll need your hip and waist size as well. Since switching from a one-piece, I love my T1 and swim faster than ever! Good luck!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.wetsuitrental.com/

great customer service, they were recommended by lots of people when me and my GF got our first suit. 100% satisfied.

$40 to rent a wetsuit, and if it is not the right size they will send a replacement for free.

this way you can try out a few companies before you make a huge purchase on a suit that you are not sure you will like.

TEAM GREEN
SWIM - CYCLE - RUN - VEGAN

Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [Ted Trendy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was planning on renting from wetsuitrentals...they have been great to talk to but they didn't have the suit I thought I wanted...
Anyway thanks to everyone for their help and advice. A friend has loaned me a QR...it fits perfect....I think because it is used and older...apparently he has the same size chest hahaha!

First open water this weekend and first event May15th ....wish me luck and safety.
Kimberly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Try an Orca

my support:

Pacific Multisport
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [sdtrigirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only issue you will have with the 2 piece deSoto system is if you have a short torso i.e.: petite sizing. I had to return a few sizes that just didn't work for me at all (rolling up/riding up as the top was too long) and ended up with a nineteen full.

good luck on the QR!

AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Need Wet Suit...Help [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hmmm...interesting. I have a very short torso and have no problems at all- however, I have relatively small hips, it may be more of a waist to hip proportion, rather than a short torso issue. I wear a size 1.

However, like you just said, at least you can always return it if it doesn't work for you, which is great!

Tracy M. De Soto
Femme Designer/CFO/Attorney
De Soto Sport
Quote Reply