Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

cadences on road vs. tri bikes
Quote | Reply
I'm confused. I always thought that tri bikes/steep geometry bikes were mainly ridden (? meant to be ridden) at slower cadences (80-90) than road geometry - cadences of about 100. Seems like theres been a lot written recently about riding steep with high cadences (again low 100's). So whats the history and details on this?

Also I thought most triathletes road slow cadences relative to road cyclists and some thought this was good and some thought this was bad.... This was long before Lance's cadence became such a big deal. I raced a bit back in college (12 years ago) and am trying to start again.....

Another related question - similar topic and a take off of the recent hill riding technique post. Cadences and hills - what exactly does "spinning up hills mean?" Same cadence as on the flats? Seems like you'd need a seriously small gear to not blow up on any significant climb. What are people using and how fast are they spinning and climbing (mph) - plus give length and % of hill please if available....IF you're spinning up a hill - why stay aero? If its a big hill - I assume your speed has dropped off enough that wind resistance and aeroness have become a non-factor - what speed does this occur? I assume once you drop below about 10-12 mph wind resistance is a minimal force to fight? Doesn't the change in position help ease the back/core/neck muscles a bit?

Thanks
Quote Reply