Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Mounting computer on aero bars
Quote | Reply
Wondering if its possible to mount my computer (cateye astrale) on my stem instead of on my C2 clip-ons? I seem to remember a picture of Gary in S.D.'s bike where this was done. Any ideas? Of course I would like the computer to be facing me and not be rotated 90 degrees. Thanks....
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting computer on aero bars [Triman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've never seen an adaptor for this, but I've seen some models that use elastics and ties to hold the computer in place and they would probably work. I have a small computer mount attached to my C2s that positions the computer (facing me even!) out just past the end of my water bottle. That's the method that I would recommend.
Quote Reply
I'm really glad you asked that question!! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Having just built up a specialty tri bike, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to NOT have a computer. I'm planning to ride all out, most of the time and if not, I'll use my heart monitor to reign myself in.

It just seems to me that the computer mount will mess up the aerodynamics of my really neato aero forks, not to mention being hard to mount. Besides, all the races I'm doing this year are using chip timing. I'll find out after the race if I PRed the bike...

Opinions on this?

Also, Bruce Bursford used to fill his tires (or is that tyres) with helium. I don't know if that helps much, but where would you get a source for that at 165 PSI? I mean, wouldn't it be cool to tell someone that you have the new experimental Zipp 404-X that only weighs 192 grams, and then hand them your wheel and have it be almost lighter than air?

¦:o)/

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
YES. It is possible. The device is called a Nob. It sells for 9.99. If your lbs does not have one, I can ship ya one. There was a thread about two weeks ago and someone posted a pic. It works great.

Shawn

"Nothing in life ever just happens. Calculated progression insures your strength."
Shawn Spencer
Bike Cycles
Wilmington, NC
http://www.bikecycleshop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cateye has a stem mount, go to the cateye site and I think you can order it. You will need to rewire the system because the pick-ups are wired into the mount. I am thinking of getting this myself.

A
Quote Reply
Re: I'm really glad you asked that question!! [Cousin Elwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Helium will leak out to fast,Nitrogen i hear is the way to go,but getting the tanks of gas and the cost proably make it not worth the while
Quote Reply
Re: I'm really glad you asked that question!! [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nitrogen would not be a lot lighter than air which is 80% nitrogen in any case - the other 20 is oxyegen (weight 16 as apposed to nitrogens 14). Helium is lighter - 4 but even then the weight saving must be minute.

of course you could always put less air in the tires 120psi rather the 165 psi should save 25% or so of the weight :-)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm really glad you asked that question!! [timc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, I would not recommend going without a bike computer. The mph and cadence output give you a lot important feedback during the race. Your perceived and actual exertion will of course fluctuate, and your heart rate monitor will give you this, but IMO, you need the mph and cadence to know whether you are executing your race plan properly.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't ride with a bike computer. Instead I've been using the Timex GPS device, which I like a lot more. Obviously it won't pick up cadence, but after riding enough you should have a good idea of your cadence anyway.

hasta,

e

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did a "jury rig" on my C2's that works very well. I will send you a pic if you send me an email but for now picture this...

I took a piece of 1"PVC sprinkler pipe and cut it so if fit between the ends of the C2's at the "ellbow end" estentially right between the arm pads. With a dremel i contoured the ends so they fit tightly along the curve. I then used black eletrical tape to attatch it to the C2's. On first glance it looks like it is part of the aerobar/ It sits almost above the stem and aft of my water botle. Works great and took about 15 min.

Good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting computer on aero bars [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Incidentally, Steve Larsen rides with that huge SRM display on his Vision Techs and it doesn't seem to slow him down too much. Same with Heather Golnick too, I think.

Just an observation. ;-)

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Mounting computer on aero bars [tristeve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Similar to Tristeve's recommendation, but even easier, you can use one of the Profile computer mounts, These have a plastic strap that tightens with a screw at the end of the post. The length of the mount is perfect for the space on the C2's right between the armrest pads. I used one of these on my C2's to mount the Polar watch mount. I couldn't mount it on the standard C2 computer mount because it would put the watch out of range of the cadence sensor. This way my S710 is right between the armrests. Another tip for S710 users- get some industrial velcro and put it on the computer mount and the back of the watch. I can then wear the watch in the swim, take it off my wrist as I'm running to T1, and just drop it in the mount without having to strap it to the mount. This holds very securely and it's very fast.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cateye.com has the stem mounts under the drop down menu for "Small Parts" they only cost $2.40. However, they are on backorder until mid-june.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like that stuff up on front either. I mean, is it worth it to have an Ouzo Pro Aero fork with a nasty ol' sensor hanging out in the breeze? I mounted my Vetta 100 wireless computer on my top tube in front of my knees, and put the speed sensor on the rear wheel. I even put a magnet in the stem cutout on my rear disc...works fine. It's mounted sideways, but it's not in the way. I rarely stand, and when I do, it doesn't interfere with my knees anyway.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: I'm really glad you asked that question!! [yaquicarbo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
as anyone mounted the fork sensor on the back side of the fork(i.e. the trailing edge)? would that put it in "dirty air" or would some of the aerodynamic advantage of the fork still be lost even with that set up?

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: I'm really glad you asked that question!! [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fairly certain that mounting it on the front of the fork would be better from an aerodynamic perspective...it's the trailing edge that is more important.

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply