Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

transition question
Quote | Reply
ok guys, i've been lurking for several months and decided to take the plunge and become "involved".

question: many people go from swim to bike bare-footed and do their bike leg like that. do they also run bare-footed? my question is, if they are eventually going to put on socks for the run, how does it save time? why not do it during T-1?
Quote Reply
Re: transition question [sbroker221] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm guessing you mean sockless, not totally barefoot.

Bike: I never wear socks on the bike, racing or training, unless it's really cold or if I'm riding with the roadie girls. Too much of a hassle putting socks on wet feet and I've gotten used to it. You also don't get the sock tan.

Run: Slide socks on before shoes. I've tried running without socks, but always get hot spots or blisters, no matter what shoes I wear.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will always need to get to your bike barefoot. At that point, it is up to you if you want to put on socks. Personally, I alway's go sockless on the bike, when training and racing, regardless of the distance. I use Sidi T1's and they are great.

For me on the run, anything over an Olympic distance requires socks. If it is a sprint or an OLY, I will always run in my race flats without socks.

If you run sockless, you will most likely find it uncomfortable at first. ALso, you should be racing this way in flats only. Just my 2Cents..

-Fran
Quote Reply
Re: transition question [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grazie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess that depends upon whether or not the bike portion requires socks... For me, I don't need socks for the bike... but, I do for the run. So, yes- I put the socks on during T1. So, there is not reason why you can't put socks on for T1 even if you only need them for the run.

Socks don't save time... (in fact, it takes more time to put them on)... however, blisters can really loose time. Socks are suitable for some and not for others. I've tried both ways (sockless and with socks). Over 19+ yrs. of doing triathlons... with socks has worked best for me. And, puting them on during T1 is also the best time to put them on for me.

BTW, I know of no know one whom runs barefooted... I assume you mean sockless.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never worn socks on the bike in a race. Then put them on in T2. Much easier to put them on during T2 since your feet are usually dry by then. Last season I went sockless for the whole race 1/2 and full IM. My feet would get too hot during training runs. To prevent blisters and hot spots I used body glide on the bottom and places I knew were prone to getting blisters. It didn't take much longer than if I were to put socks on. Although I missed a spot on my achilles at IMC and got a blister although I'll probably wear socks for the next ironman but not anything shorter. Feet stayed cool for the 5+ hour marathon that I did.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm another "sockless" triathlete. I never wear them on the bike ever but depending on the conditions/race (ie. very hot if a half IM or when doing an IM race) I sometimes use them on the run. Never run with them in anything shorter than half IM distance though. Must be my track background where nobody ever wore socks inside your track spikes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I moved to sockless ( for olympic and sprints) (and racing flats despite weighing 185 lbs.) last year and am glad I did. Had a few blister problems the first couple of races-but did not bother me in the race- only afterwards.

Like a lot of stuff-I think it really depends on how competitive you are. If you are getting beat by 5 minutes and socks are more comfortable, by all means wear them. On the other had, if seconds matter-skip the socks (for short races) even if you blister.

I spent some time with Barb Lindquest a couple of years ago. Husband Loren told a story about Barb putting on socks in a race. Due to the competitive nature of the race, ended up costing her something like $7000. She does not wear socks anymore.
Quote Reply