Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Life changes
Quote | Reply
First off, I haven't been on the board regularly for almost a week -- boy, there are a lot of grumpy folks over in the main forum. Tis the season to be jolly . . . right? Is this what happens to real athletes in the off season?

Anyway, back to the big news. It's official. We're moving to Denver, CO. We just put our house on the market and will be heading out west for house hunting later this month. We're looking in Littleton, Castle Pines, and Parker, for those of you familiar with the area. I'd be interested to hear any information regarding pools/health clubs in those neighborhoods. I've searched the forum and there's lots of good information about bike trails.

When we get to Colorado, I've decided to retire (perhaps temporarily) from practicing law and stay home with the kiddos for a while. This will be the first time since I was 15 years old (I'm 37) that I haven't worked -- excluding the time when I was attending law school. I'm a little nervous, but I'm going to use the time to perform a "life direction check"; make sure practicing law is really what I want to do. I anticipate this non-work thing will last about a year, but who knows.

Once I get out there, I'll change my moniker. Maybe something catchy like "Amy". I bet that's already taken.
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [AmyMI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good Luck Amy!

Colorado will be a nice change from Southeast MI.

My bride decided to take a year off about five years ago to stay home with the kids. I'm somewhat envious as my kids are quite a bit of fun to play with, in fact they love to kayak, mountain bike, orienteer, play soccer, etc. She has yet to gain an appetite to go back into the working mom mode as she is enjoying spending time with the kids. The additional nurturing makes a big difference for my kids and I believe that they really enjoy having her volunteer at school. The additional thing is that we get to see what's going on at school.

RB
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
And I was just about to secure the screen name "AmyCO"

Best of luck in the move!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I grew up in SW Denver--my parents still live there, my brother lives in Littleton, my nephew is a cop in Parker.

There are quite a few good pools in the Denver area, altho the cost is quite a bit higher than what I am used to paying here in NW Fla. A good option might be to check in to the Masters team that practices at the Univ. of Denver. Nice new pool, right off I-25, so if you live in Littleton, Parker, or Castle Pines, it is easy to get to except during rush hours. You can find their website through the USMS website.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome to Denver, Amy. My wife and I moved here in August, and couldn't be happier. I hear there's a pretty good masters swim group in Highland's Ranch (very near Littleton), and I believe one of our three female triathlon U.S. Olympians is from Highland's Ranch. I'm ashamed that I can't place her name.

You guys will love it... Glad to hear you're taking some time off. If you ever look to get back into the practice, let me know. I may know people by then... and I will certainly know people who know people.

EDIT

Forgot... I joined the masters program at DU. A little expensive, but not horrible. Unfortunately, I haven't been there much... But it's a great pool and a good bunch of people.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Last edited by: steveperx: Dec 20, 04 7:42
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [steveperx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually was just looking at the DU site. That looks like a great program. Now I'm back to moving to quash 6 deps some goober plaintiff's lawyer noticed for the last week of December. What's not to love about this job?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Im envious! Best of luck. I love the mountains and love to ski. Also a great place to bike and run. I have friends that live in Lakewood and they like it.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Amy, as a Native I say Noooooooooo! Not another one! :) Seriously, you will love it here. There is a ton to do and see and it is a great place to live in general. The places you mention are all nice and it really depends on where you may (or may not) work and where your husband will be working and how much time you want to devote to commuting.

Parker and Castle Pines are South of the city and can be a tough drive, depending on where work is. Littleton is closer to the city and very nice too and a better drive.

Send me a PM if you want any help or information on specific areas etc, I would be happy to help.

When are you moving?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Steve, where are you in Denver?

Female Olympic Triathlete: Susan Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [5280] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Susan Williams... of course. I suppose I could have googled it, but I'm feeling extra lazy today.

We're currently renting in Cherry Creek (6th and Detroit). We're building a house in Stapleton that we will hopefully be moving into at this time next year.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool. It is amazing what you can do with an old airport huh? We should get a group of Denver St'ers together this summer for a get together / ride
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He'll be working in the Tech Center. No word yet on the actual move date, although he starts Jan. 3. We have to sell the house here and buy one there. I hope to be out there by Feb./March.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Moving from Michigan to Colorado? What? you weren't getting enough cold and snow? =)

Being from NoCentral IL, when I think "moving", I think "Havasu, AZ" or "Tampa, FL". ;)

Good luck with the move.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Moving from Michigan to Colorado? What? you weren't getting enough cold and snow?"

Ah... the great misconception about Denver... FYI, it was nearly 70 degrees on the 11th, and yesterday hit a balmy 65. Supposed to get pretty cold this week, with a possibility of snow, but it ain't nuthin' like a Michigan winter.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SHHH, don't tell em:) They all think we leave at the edge of the polar ice cap and live on the Ponderosa and that is just fine:)

Everyone... nothing to see... move on... it is horrible here, we only have 1 month of summer and it very dark and cold here the rest of the year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ooops... I mean, yeah. It's REALLY cold here... year 'round. Good luck to you, Amy. I haven't been warm since I got here.

:)

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really? I lived in KC for 6 years and it seemed like Denver always got a ton of snow, starting in late september or October. Colorado seemed similar to Minnesota.

=======================
-- Every morning brings opportunity;
Each evening offers judgement. --
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [TripleThreat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I always thought so, too. I'm sure watching the Broncos play in a blizzard helps with the stereotype. But it really isn't that bad IMO, and certainly not as much snow as people might think.

I hear it gets a little colder in Jan/Feb... but I haven't been here for a Jan/Feb yet, so I can't tell you first hand.

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I lived in Gunnison for three years. When I came to Denver, it was sometimes 80-90 degrees warmer there than it was in Gunnison. Oh, and the snow usually melts in Denver within 3-4 days. In Gunnison, it stays there all winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gunnison.... now that is cold! Gunnison, Leadville and Fraiser are tough places to spend the winter for sure! At least Leadville and Fraser are real close to good skiing though:)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I grew up in SW Denver--"

I learn something new every day. And I always thought you were a true southerner. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Life changes [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am--South Denver! But now, I am a Southerner by choice. I have lived in the South since 1976, married a southern girl, and love grits. I can even tolerate some Texans!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I can even tolerate some Texans!"

That's quite an accomplishment. I was born and raised a Texan (I'm a Coloradan since August) and I can barely tolerate most Texans. ;)

Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, I always wondered--If Texas is so damn great, why do they all come to Colorado for vacation?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Amy,

Welcome to Colorado. We are in the process of moving back (from a wonderful 18 months in Cincinnati). If your husband will be in the Tech Center, try to live as close to work as possible. I-25 through the Tech Center is in the midst of a several year renovation, and traffic seems terrible. We lived in Littleton when we were here before, and loved the area. We are now looking in the Arvada area, and maybe in Stapleton.

drn92
Quote Reply