Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dia Compe 188 rattle
Quote | Reply
So I finally re-assembled my road bike and took it out for a ride today in the somewhat soggy northeast.

I had not noticed how much noise my brake levers on my tri bike were causing until today... the rattling is almost like white noise - I did not notice it until it was gone...

I've heard lots of other folks complain about loose/rattling dia compe 188's - does anyone have a fix or some way to keep the unnecessary noise to a minimum?

Woody

Mike Hollywood
http://www.bostontriathlonteam.com
http://www.michaelhollywood.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dia Compe 188 rattle [Woody] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The problem I have found is in the rivet. Either drill out the rivet and replace it w/ a quality bolt and washer; or, get a very, very thin nylon washer, cut out a pie slice, and slide it down in where the rivet is to tighten it up and stop the rattle.

Good Luck,

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think I remember Dan saying, that when he owned QR, they squeezed the rivet on every 188, with a pair of vice-grips or channel lock pliers, before they were shipped out, to eliminate the rattle.

Richard
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I'm loathe to suggest spending more $$ on your bike, I think any of the competing lever upgrades is well worth the $$. I rode rattling 188s for years, trying every trick in the book to silence them. Nothing worked 100%. I put Syntace Space Control levers on my newest bike and have been riding in blissful silence ever since. FWIW, the vise-grip pliers is the best solution outside of drilling out the pin and replacing it with bolt and bushing. Space Controls will run you about $80. I think the new Profile QuickStop 2s are slightly cheaper and have an added plus with a return spring.
Quote Reply