Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Have PC's ruined Stefano Garzelli?
Quote | Reply
I am feeling provocative. Admittedly Garzelli has always had a fairly low cadence on climbs and TT's, but watching him on the Terminillo climb last weekend and yesterday when he lost the lead to Simoni his cadence was noticeably slower than previous years. Sloggin gears that big is going to hurt him in long mountain stages and over a 3 week tour. So is this lower cadence a result of becoming a part of the PC Cult?
Quote Reply
Re: Have PC's ruined Stefano Garzelli? [mises] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, it's the result of using too big of gears.

He's won 2 stages and owns everyone except Simoni who is one of the absolute best climbers. Note how hard core everyone else was thrashed by those two on that one climb.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
simoni was very strong in the climbs yesterday, Garzelli was strong also at the front of the pack for most of the race and actually gained time on simoni on that last big climb with very little help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I am feeling provocative. Admittedly Garzelli has always had a fairly low cadence on climbs and TT's, but watching him on the Terminillo climb last weekend and yesterday when he lost the lead to Simoni his cadence was noticeably slower than previous years. Sloggin gears that big is going to hurt him in long mountain stages and over a 3 week tour. So is this lower cadence a result of becoming a part of the PC Cult?

I doubt it has anything to do with PC
Last edited by: TimeTrial.org: May 21, 03 13:38
Quote Reply
Re: Have PC's ruined Stefano Garzelli? [Zinc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Obviously he is using too big of gears, but the point is why is he using larger gears this year than in the past?

Maybe he is lacking cardio fitness and trying to make up for it with muscular strength or maybe he is using PC's and has been pedaling more slowly with those trying to adapt to them and has gotten bad habits.

------
Rotor does have data, but there are some methodological flaws with the testing, not least of which are small sample sizes. Logically they make sense but the data at this point is not that impressive. Data validating PCs I think is even more difficult since they work in simplest terms by forcing your brain to alter the strength and sequence of signals it is sending to the muscles (strength gains are secondary to that effect) and that can be done solely by focusing attention on the process. It may not be done as efficiently or effectively with mind alone but it presents yet another variable that would need to be held constant for valid results. Perhaps targeted brain lesions could eliminate that variable - any volunteers?

I think PCs in training and Rotors for racing makes more theoretical sense than anything since it addresses both man and machine flaws. Proving that would be even more problematic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Garzelli lost the leaders jersey to a very determined attack by one of the strongest riders in the tour. Great offensive move by Simoni, and actually some damn fine defensive riding by Garzelli to keep it close. If PC's helped him to "slog" like that, sign me up!

"Maybe you should just run faster..." TM
Quote Reply
Post deleted by The Committee [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's more a function of him not having raced in a year+. those guys can't maintain top form without plenty of racing miles.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Have PC's ruined Stefano Garzelli? [not a PCer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garzelli is the one using the PC's, not Simoni. The evidence is simply that he had one of the 5 pair we shipped to Mapei for evaluation, gave them back when the team broke up and accepted his own sponsored pair when approached by us, after we found out.

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I must admit that there is a lot about this stuff I don't understand. Phil, Paul, and Bob are commenting continually as Garzelli and Simoni are climbing together up the Terminilo as to how much better Simoni looks when, to my eyes, I see Simoni constantly coming out of the saddle to try to ride away and Garzelli simply staying in the saddle and matching him (while they both leave everyone else in the dust). Then, after Garzelli runs away at the top, the three, again, comment on how good Simoni looked and that he had to be the overall favorite. What did I miss?

The comments on how Garzelli may not have the legs for a three week race due to the lay off may mean something but then, they comment on how Cippo is riding himself into form, why can't Garzelli do the same?

Either way, it is an exciting race and the TV coverage is great. I expecially enjoy watching the sprinters tactics. The rest of this may be very close between Simoni and Garzelli. since the last stage is a TT, anyone know the relative strengths of these two riders in this type of racing?

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty much all the cycling research is plagued by tiny sample sizes and billions of other variables... which is sort of what's to be expected when we're looking for a 2% improvement with a tiny sample size with any kind of confidence interval that's better than chance.

I do see how using insanely low cadence could well speed fatigue, but we're going to just see what happens over the next few weeks. Personally, it looks like he may well be taking advantage of improved muscle recruitment as a result of the PC's, and consequently is able to turn a lower cadence without destroying legs with too much tension.
Quote Reply
Re: Have PC's ruined Stefano Garzelli? [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garzelli is currently 2 seconds behind in most demanding race of 2003 to date. By no logical definition can he be called out of shape or in poor position. Looking for reasons as to why he is performing poorly makes about as much sence as trying to figure out why Sammy Sosa is such a crappy HR hitter because he never hit as many HR in a season as Barry Bonds.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One more question about bicycle racing that I don't understand.

I can see how the team would be a big help to the team leader on the flats and in the sprints, where there is enough speed for drafting to have a real effect but I don't understand how the team "helps" the leader in the mountains where, presumably, the speed is low enough that drafting is of little benefit since pushing is not allowed. It would seem that the loss of Garzelli's teammate today could be a big blow to his chances as this particular guy seemed like the strongest one of the bunch.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Frank have you ever followed someone up a hill at a pace they were comfortable with but was a little above your comfort range,having someone to set a good hard pace and keeping it there is a big help on climps,also team mates can chase down attacks so the leader will not have to,plus a team mate can give a wheel or even a bike if a leader needs it,its a great thing to have your team around you on important climbs,if there fast enough to keep up
Quote Reply