Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Threaded to Threadless Conversion?
Quote | Reply
I currently own a '99 C'dale CAAD3 road bike with the traditional 1" threaded steerer. I'm noticing the selection of quill stems is shrinking. I know there are these adaptor thingys that go in a threaded steerer that allows a person to use a threadless stem. But, what if I need to replace the fork? If lets say I buy a fork with a 1" threadless steerer, 'cause that's all I can get, is it just a matter of changing out the headset and getting a threadless stem? Any caveats?

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Threaded to Threadless Conversion? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds correct to me. If you are lucky enough to have a Chris King threaded headset, you can buy an adapter to make it threadless. Otherwise, you will need a threadless headset, threadless fork, and a threadless stem.

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: Threaded to Threadless Conversion? [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply. Nope, no Chris King headset (yet), just the stock Shimano 105 that came w/the bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I currently own a '99 C'dale CAAD3 road bike with the traditional 1" threaded steerer. I'm noticing the selection of quill stems is shrinking. I know there are these adaptor thingys that go in a threaded steerer that allows a person to use a threadless stem. But, what if I need to replace the fork? If lets say I buy a fork with a 1" threadless steerer, 'cause that's all I can get, is it just a matter of changing out the headset and getting a threadless stem? Any caveats?

Brett

I upgraded the threaded fork on my 1993 C'dale 2.8 a couple of years ago. The upgrade required a new headset, stem, and fork. Total cost - $320. I usually do my own bike maintenance but opted to have the shop do it for 2 reasons: (1.) The steerer tube had to be cut to length. A single mistake would ruin the fork. (2.) Some machining had to be done to install the headset.

The installation cost was around $80 including the machining. It was money well spent.

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Threaded to Threadless Conversion? [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 i am using the profile design threadless converter on my Ultegra 1" Headset with no problems. Did this set up to avoid having to buy a new fork and headset.

The Cuban Comet
(Comets are unbelievably slow over Cuba)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ewww. 105 headset?? Sounds to me like reason enough to upgrade. No, I'm not a gear snob, and think that in general 105 is great. But I had to buy a threaded headset recently and couldn't believe the difference between the 105 and Ultegra headsets. The 105 I checked out was really bad.
Quote Reply