Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Compact Geometry, What is the Deal?
Quote | Reply
I'm seeing more and more bike mfr's going to "compact geometry" for their bikes. What I find "interesting" to put it politely is that now there are just three or four sizes of bike (Small, Medium, Large). Must be easier on the inventory not having to have a dozen or more sizes of bikes. Don't get me wrong, I'm a capitalist pig right along with the best of 'em, but have decades of bike manufacturing been all wrong when all that was needed was a small handfull of sizes? Even a lot of "upper-end" brands are going to compact geometry. What is the marketing department's spin on compact geometry?

Brett
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Geometry, What is the Deal? [timberwolf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As far as the sizing goes,its cheeper on the builder,lower inventory,and as long as consumers but into it ,it will stay,As far as compact frames, pure marketing(imho) got to change something every year to keep the products looking fresh(i know that compact geo bike might fit some smaller riders better but,i see six foot four inch guys riding around with two feet of a seat post hanging out,not my idea of something good to do)
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Geometry, What is the Deal? [randall t] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What i have seen some manufacturers do is have a progressive geometry where the large sizes have no top tube slope while the smaller sizes have a greater slope... makes sense not to have 4 feet of seat post for a 60cm bike... looks kinda silly.

Cervelo makes a compact bike in the normal size run, while giant and specialized don't... compact or traditional the principles of sizing still apply and I would think that a proper size run would make more sense for compact bikes...
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Geometry, What is the Deal? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There was an article in Bicycling magazine a couple of issues back on the trend towards compact geometry. Basically, the article said you can get a lighter, stiffer frame with a compact, but some of that benefit may be offset or lost by the longer seatpost.
Quote Reply
Re: Compact Geometry, What is the Deal? [taku] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
while giant and specialized don't
Specialized comes in a full size run, not the t-shirt sizing. I ride a 54cm 2002 Allez Comp, same as I rode a 54cm M4 prior to that.
Quote Reply