Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

first ironman?
Quote | Reply
hi all! i am thinking about doing IMCOZ. i am a really big cyclist, but not so much on the running and swimming front. i figure if i start running now at 1 mile per week, i can build up to get to about 20-22 as my long run. swimming--i'll be at the beach all summer, so will do a lot of open water swimming.

how much training did you do before your first ironman? i'm not looking to break any world records, just finish.

thanks!!!

Quote Reply
Re: first ironman? [onyouright] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For my first I bought the book Be IronFit, but Don Fink. It had 3 plans in it and they varied from beginner to advanced. I think this was the layout of the plans:

Mon: Rest
Tues: Bike 45-90 recovery/endurance pace bike (started with 45 and built to 90 minutes the last month of training), masters swim
Wed: Swim masters, run 45-90 minutes with intervals (started at 45-built to 90 during the last couple weeks before taper).
Thurs: Bike with some intervals/run brick, usually 60-90 minutes bike (again starting shorter, building)/30 min run
Friday: Long steady swim from 2K to 4K (or up to an hour straight), 45-90 minute run
Sat: Long ride/run brick. Started at 2 hour bike and 15 min run and built to 6 hour bike and 60 minute run
Sun: Long run, started at an hour and built to 3 hours. Also had a recovery ride from 30-60 minutes (I only did one of these and it was after my 3 hour run....I wished I had done them all along...it really helped recovery).

I followed the plan for the most part (sort of a mix of intermediate to advanced) but didn't do any of the interval bike stuff (wasn't a big fan of biking) and only did a couple of the run interval trainings before I had achilles problems so i just did the runs at the same pace for as long as he said.

It was a good book and I think it answered any question I had about training etc. I met my goals for the race using the plan. I would have probably been significantly faster had I done the interval stuff he had in the plan, but I just wasn't into training that hard at the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
running 1 mile per week? at a 10% increase per week (not including rest weeks) it'll take forever to reach 22 miles in one go! :) If you're such a strong cyclist I would maintain that but focus more on your run if that's the weak area. 4x/week, can you start at 10 miles per week?
Quote Reply
Re: first ironman? [Lilac J] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PirateGirl--thanks so much for your response and training plan! looks great. just wondering..how long did it take you to build up to a marathon? that's my main concern and was just wondering how long it took others to do so

Lilac J--sorry for the confusion; i realized that my post is pretty confusing. i was thinking of starting at 1 mile several times a week, and then 2 miles several times a week the next week. hopefully by 25 weeks or so, i should be up to 20 or so miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi-I hope you don't pass people on the right? I yell-onyourleft a lot but please don't pass on the right!
Quote Reply