Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

muscle soreness
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I'm new here and hoping someone might have some suggestions for me..... recently I had really increased my strength training and felt like I was really seeing some results. Then I did something to my periformis and I've really pulled back to see if I could get it under control. Now, a month later, I wanted to start up again with the strength training so I started with some simple squats, no weights. The next day I could barely walk i was so sore. I would expect this if I had pushed really hard but I didn't. What I'm wondering is muscle soreness related to nutrition? Could I be lacking something like calcium or potassium? Is this a recovery issue? Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: muscle soreness [Avocet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You will be sore, and then you'll adapt to it and be less sore. Give it a couple weeks. Lift every other day if you must lift. Squats have some eccentric (breaking) action that causes muscle microtrauma - and that makes you feel sore. It is probably not due to a Ca or K deficiency.

Ice after exercise can help.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
just on what you posted, Id think you are sore as you had not been lifting for a while? sorry if this seems super obvious but I know with me, if I miss a weight session I feel it after the next time. If I miss a week I am sore again like starting over. Is this the case with you?
Quote Reply
Re: muscle soreness [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the case with me.....and I guess I think that its weird. Its not like I've been on the couch doing nothing during that time. It has been a while since I did lower body strength - probably a month, due to injury, but by my soreness you'd think I hadn't used my quads at all during that month which isn't the case. I've still be cycling, elipticaling etc. so I can't figure out why I got so sore. It hurt to walk down the stairs or sit down on the toilet! :) just over some little squats! The other thing is I don't know when I should do it again. Ideally I work my lower body 2 to 3 days later but as sore as I was I couldn't do much by then and I was wondering even if I should? Or should I wait until the soreness subsides completely? Thanks for you responses!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I too find it takes awhile to reduce soreness after lifting. Regardless of strength, the muscles just need to figure out how to fire in that way again and that take a few sessions. I am ALWAYS sore after lifting (since I am so start/stop about it) and usually not until a day or 2 later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lift every other day, if it makes you too sore then do less weight for right now.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: muscle soreness [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I hit the big M this year and started training for a half after a long while of fairly inconsistent training. Needless to day, my muscle recovery was not what it used to be. 25 mg of Magnesium and 500mg of Glutamine daily seems to be helping tremendously. I actually started taking the Glutamine because I had some stomach problems, but noticed that it really helped my recovery. Later, I remembered and article that PNF wrote suggesting it for training recovery years ago in Triathlete.
Quote Reply