Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Will this hurt Lance?
Quote | Reply
With team announcements today: NO Jan, Marco, or Mario.

WIll it hurt his rep if he does not beat 2 out of three big names, in the tour this year? I don't think so but it is especially disappointing that no Mario with the race he put on yesterday. Plus being the world champion. I don't care about Marco--he is done. Jan will never (probably) be that good again.

Go Lance.
Quote Reply
Re: Will this hurt Lance? [Matt Berner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lance has whooped marco enough times in the mountains the past couple years that his presence isn't relevant. he isn't the same rider since they instituted tougher epo controls. mario would have just made the race more interesting in the flat stages. jan would have been interesting because i think he would have put in a big effort to get into shape. at this point though, i don't think the presence or absence of people in the race will hurt lance's rep anymore. he is pretty well solidified his status as one of the greatest in tdf history.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Re: Will this hurt Lance? [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
None of the three would have been a threat or ever will be again. You can only beat the best who show up.
Quote Reply
Re: Will this hurt Lance? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan is not out...
Jean-Marie Leblanc has one more slot for a team.
it will be given to Bianchi if everything is ok with the UCI. Otherwise it will do to either Phonak or Domina.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is going to be a great tour! Let's hope the Hamilton v. Armstrong matchup materializes this year. If so, this could be a CLASSIC!!! It's a shame Cipo isn't in - that would have been an exciting Green Jersey battle - shame the committee didn't let him in...Ulrich and Pantani are not quite back on contender form yet. Their absence will only impact the media storylines - not Lance's legacy. 5 consecutive tours is legendary.
Quote Reply
Re: Will this hurt Lance? [BLACKSHEEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jan was looking like he was coming on form nicely, might have made a race of it. As for Marco and Mario, they are good for the headlines but not for the GC. I suspect that for the three weeks of the tour Lance's shadow is going to look like Tyler and Levi.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Will this hurt Lance? [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Jan was looking like he was coming on form nicely, might have made a race of it. As long as the new Team Bianchi's finances are ok, Jan's team will still be invited. As for Marco and Mario, they are good for the headlines but not for the GC. I suspect that for the three weeks of the tour Lance's shadow is going to look like Tyler and Levi. I think his shadow is more likely to look like Botero and Beloki.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Le Tour is only open to division 1 teams so even if Pantani had won every race this season he could not get invited. Despite the low opinion everyone has for him he's doing pretty well in the Giro for a guy who hasn't raced much in several years. If he finishes strongly and wins a stage he could transfer to another team for the Tour.

I think leaving Mario out is the result of some petty grudge by Leblanc. But since I don't care to commit the JV sprints to tape it will save room for the mountain stages.

I think Simoni will be the closest to LA in the mountains. Pre Giro I thought Aitor Gonzalez was the best all around challenger, but he seems to have pulled a Fat Jan off season training plan.

With both LA and Simoni attacking in the mountains the wheel followers like Beloki and Hamilton may have some problems.
Quote Reply