Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Question for english slowtwitchers
Quote | Reply
I am engaged to an english women. I am preparing to spend my first christmas in london with the future in laws.

I have heard many opinions of holiday food such as mince pie, christmas pudding and such.

What gastronomical delights/frights should I be wary of(Of course, I will eat whatever is put in front of me with a smile on my face as the future mother in-law is a tough old broad, and proud of it)?
Quote Reply
Re: Question for english slowtwitchers [Barrio] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Merry Christmas US dude

Heres a few to watch from the big dinner itself

Sprouts with Chestnuts - can give you serious wind and your soon to be in-laws may not be impressed

Bread Sauce - not sure if you have this but defo worth piling it on the plate

the rest of xmas dinner is all normal fare - turkey veg stuffing etc

enjoy
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brandy butter on the christmas pud.

Mince pies.

Both good.

I'll be back in England with my in-laws this year. Have fun, and don't let the grey weather put you off.

J.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Despite the stereotype, I've found that English food isn't that bad at all. If you want to impress your future inlaws just eat everything placed in front of you. Be sure to go out to a good pub for a pint or two.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't think of anything to warn you about. If you like plum pudding you will like Christmas cake and Christmas pudding, both are rich and very tasty, best part of CHristmas as far as I am concerned. Most English families have an American Christmas Dinner based around roast turkey, veg, roast potatoes, bread sauce (white ,slightly savoury from breadcrumbs, nice if homemade), cransberry sauce, stuffing. True English Christmas dinner would be similar but with Goose, a whole ham and roast beef. Dessert is Christmas pud with either double cream, brandy butter/sauce or custard. I don't much like brandt butter but it's nothing to stress about. Basically if her mum is a reasonable cook you will have a good time. Personally, I have never experienced brussel sprouts with chestnuts, but can say that brussel sprouts are only poor or not tasty if they are old.

Whereabouts in England will you be going? There are regional variations, but that I have covered are for the south but will be mainstay of the meal.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Re: Question for english slowtwitchers [jk_allen13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We will be splitting our time between Chelsea and Seven Oaks with a 2 day respite in Paris for the new year.

Thanks all for the advice.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, no problem at all with regional variations and in that area you know it will be a good spread. If Chelsea are playing at home try and get to the boxing day match it will be a real good match and atmosphere.

"How bad can it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I LOOOOOOOOOVE English food. I love pork pies, battered sausages, chips with curry sauce, fry-ups, English breakfasts (they are the best in the world, in my blunt opinion), roast dinners, good chinese food (as American chinese food is NAFF!!!!!), tomatoes with my breakfast, Daddy's brown sauce with it, too. I get really fat when I go to England, but I don't give a rat's ass- I LOVE the food!!!!!!

I do NOT fancy pickled eggs or onions, as well have never gotten into blood pudding. You will be fine.

My advice- do not, and I mean DO NOT drink bitter, then cider. Cider is meant to be enjoyed all on it's lonesome, and that means drink cider all evening with no beer AT ALL. My first trip to see me in-laws netted me one serious ride on the porcelain bus.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I LOVE mincemeat pies (no meat in them; they're a dessert), beware.

They're well known for producing massive volumes of gas.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From my limited experience, English food is just awful. Why not make a side trip to the Channel Islands. English culture and French food. Best of all worlds.

Don't tell Francois I gave France a compliment. I will never live it down.
Quote Reply
Re: Question for english slowtwitchers [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]From my limited experience, English food is just awful.[/reply]

Prat.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What Julian in England said. English food is great, wonderfully rich and flavourful. Chrimbo dinner won't be anything out of the ordinary if you're used to Thanksgiving. I'm not keen on sprouts either, but when in Rome etc. The rest of the time you can enjoy lots of new food experiences. I would have some black pudding just to say you did it. It's not that bad, excellent with some bacon and eggs and toast a mug of hot sugary tea.

One word of warning - if you're going to drink beer - real beer - make sure you spend alot of time alone. The gas will make your family reconsider the future.

Have a great time - don't think about your weight while you are on holiday!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://pavlov.psyc.queensu.ca/~psyc382/rockgold.html
(Norman Rockwell's "Do Unto Others")
Quote Reply