Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to stay warm while swim trainng?
Quote | Reply
Hi, thanks for helping.

I swim 1 hour three times a week at the local university pool, and even though I am working hard, I get cold...blue lips and nose, cold feet. It is very uncomforable and saps my motivation. What can I do to stay warm? Neoprene vest? Swim cap? Any thoughts would be welcome.
Quote Reply
Re: How to stay warm while swim trainng? [nekdvm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You might tri a surfing rash guard. They mostly come short-sleeved, but I think there are also long-sleeved ones.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well my girlfriend always recommends when I'm swimming in cold, Southern California waters infested with man eating sharks that I take my lucky ham with me. At 10mph I'm really warm!

Cold, in a pool ? What temperature is it ? If it's less than 70F wear your wetsuit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure a cap would help. Eighty percent of your heat loss is through your head. I know there are insulated swim caps available. Try sandwiching a piece of aluminum foil between two caps first and see if that helps. Where do you swim? I have swum in some university pools (Auburn) that weren't too cold, but others (James Madison) where I got earaches. Have you tried asking them to turn up the heat? If you still have problems, try going to another pool. YMCAs seem to keep the temp up pretty good because they have an older clientele.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
most pools are kept at either competition (or slightly wamer) or at recreational temperatures. If you are just getting started it may take a while to get used to the cooler water, but it is great after 3000 meters. Could be that your rest intervals are too long. You should be able to warm up after a few hundred meters. Our pool is kept cool eough that I can do my wet suit swims in the middle of the summer without over heating.
Quote Reply
2nd the cap [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
definitely go with a cap, or two if you feel more comfortable. I started wearing a cap in the pool and have stayed warmer in the cold water here. If there's a jacuzzi (sp?), jump in there after you're done for about 5 minutes. When your body temp. goes down your body tells itself it's hungry. It's good to eat after, but warming up a little will keep you from feeling like you're starving and eating everything around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make me envious, the pool I swim at is kept uncomfortably warm and I have a hard time swimming any distance at all. You may consider buying a Quintana Roo quickjohn wetsuit. QR states that with frequent washing these suits have held un reasonably well swimming in a pool three times a week. Or you may also consider a neoprene head cover, I know both QR and DeSoto make one, it should be warmer than a swim cap. And if you were still to cold you may look into neoprene socks, also made by QR.

I don't work here, I just live here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Beer and pizza. Lots of it. Develop a walrus-like layer of blubber and you'll be just fine in cold water.

works for me....
Quote Reply
Re: How to stay warm while swim trainng? [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If worse comes to worse become a duathlete. You'll find du's more physically demanding.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: How to stay warm while swim trainng? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You could try a chillcheater

http://www.chillcheater.co.uk

I use a long sleeve top and their shorts as my wetsuit when I train at the beach and it works for me. The material is chlorine resistant and they'll cut it exactly to size without charge (beginning to sound like an advert). I can get cold in pools quite easily if it's too busy to swim quickly, there are definite disadvantages to being 5' 10" and 128lbs. The material is breathable and I've often wondered if you got one of the tops with a zip it would work for the whole of a sprint or maybe even olympic distance race with zero change time.

John
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My solution is to skip the swim and go for a run. Eventually, you get so good at running you are doing back-to-back marathons in the Sahara and then you never have to worry about being cold at swim training again. Seriously though, most people do not dress warmly enough before the event or practice and fail to maintain their core temperature. Wear warm clothes, a little too warm even, to the practice. Be sure you are a little warm prior to getting in the water. Try a stainless steel thermos of hot tea or even hot citrus Cytomax. It's pretty good! Take a drink between big efforts. As a last resort, maybe get a T1 vest top and wear that. I wouldn't train in a full wetsuit though. Just my .02 as an aweful swimmer.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Swim cap's a must in terms of heat loss prevention. Lightly bobbing in place between reps can help a little bit.
Quote Reply
perhaps an Oneil Thinskin would help [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A woman at my pool uses the
O'neill Thinskins and swears by them

http://www.oneill.com/wake/catalog.phtml?state=Show_Series&gender=m&cat=Neoprene%20Tops%20%26%20Bottoms

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"on your Left"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On top of all the other tips.

I had a friend that got hypothermia during a 39KM open water swim in Quebec. A few days later one of the experienced marathon swimmers called hime and told him that if you eat and drink while swimming it helps keep the body warm (something about by making the intestines etc. work you increase circulation in the body core). Sounded a little weak to me but he and a few other experienced swimmers all had food and water on their support boats and they stopped periodicly to have some. BTW they swam 39 KM in low 50 degree water with no wetsuit so I think they knew their stuff.

"which is like watching one of your buddies announce that he's quitting booze and cigarettes, switching to a Vegan diet and training for triathalons ... but he's going to keep snorting heroin." Bill Simmons, ESPN
Quote Reply