Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

hungry all the time!
Quote | Reply
Hi all, I am training for my first ironman and have just began increasing my workout schedule. I have noticed that I am now considerable more hungry, like all the time! I am quiet small 5.3' about 115 pounds. I was wondering if you guys could give me an indication of what you eat on a daily basis to keep fueled. Here is my weekly training schedule. I have a running related injury at the moment so my training is mostly swimming and cycling at the moment. All cycling to/from work done on a HEAVY mountain bike.

Monday:

1 hour weighs, 1 hour cycling (to/from work)

Tuesday

1 hour cycling (to/from work), 1 hour swimming class (pretty intense)

Wednesday

1 hour cycling (to/from work), 40 minutes cycling interval on tri bike.

Thursday

1 hour cycling (to/from work), 1 hour swimming class

Friday

1 hour weights, 1 hour cycling (to/from work), try 15 minutes running :)

Saturday

1 hour swimming, 1.5 hour cycle

Sunday

1 hour swimming, 1.5 hour cycle

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: hungry all the time! [sugarfueled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If your screen name has anything to do with it.... eat more protein and fat :-)

What are you eating right now? If you tell us that maybe we can make suggestions from there.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you experimented with 3 large meals vs multiple small ones? When I do large volumes of training I find that 3 large meals and a pre-workout snack keep me fuller than 5 or 6 small ones during the day.

Also, as TC points out, be sure you are getting a good balance of nutrients. Protein and fat fill you up so don't skimp on those. Also, keep a diary for a week, that will show you any holes in your eating habits.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your guys replies. In terms of my posting name. In was thinking all carbohydrates get broken down into glucose and used by the body in that form, so we're all sugarfueled!
OK so an average days eating.
Breakfast
3/4 cup oats
1 cup egg whites.

Snack:
fruit
homemade muffin (wholewheat blueberries muffin, about 200 calories, v. tasty!)

Lunch:
6 oz fish, 1/4 cup quinoa
black beans and some veg.

Snack:
fruit

Dinner:

omelet jam packed with broccoli, peppers, spinach. Toast with cheese.

I might not be eating enough meat, but I really don't enjoy meat and can find it difficult to digest. I am a picky eater so that doesn't help.

Thanks for your help
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Oh my goodness! If I ate that much I'd be STARVING too! :-) Would you consider taking a protein shake after workouts? My favorite is one with natural peanut butter, banana, and chocolate Muscle Milk. It has a little bit more fat than other brands/varieties of protein... but that helps me a ton with feeling satiated.

The only other thing I would suggest would be incorporating some healthy fats. Your body needs them, and perhaps right now is craving them. Olive oils, nuts, avocados.... I can't remember others right now. I think bacon is one too! :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My suggestion (which came from a friend who is a registered dietitian that looked at my food intake) is to have some source of protein every time you eat. Like you, I like to have fruit for snacks. But this lead me to be hungry and crave sweets and look for candy at the office. Her suggestion was to have the fruit, but also have something with some protein like yogurt or cheese or nuts.

When my training increases I still find that I do get hungry sometimes, and usually it just means that I need to eat more. Often times on longer workouts if I don't eat enough before, during, and after, I am hungry for a very long time following the workout. Even for shorter workouts, if I don't fuel myself properly before and after, I end up feeling very hungry for several hours even after I do finally eat. So, maybe this is the case with you?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you're hungry because there is very little fat in there. You're also seriously low on calcium.

This is what I ate today -

-Luna bar, apple; coffee with 1/2 c skim milk

6.5 mi walk

- 2 cups of watermelon; 3 scrambled eggs, calcium supplement

-1 piece of toast, 2 tbsp peanut butter, small handful of cashews

-10.6 oz vanilla greek yogurt; 9 cubes crystallized ginger

- about 1 c (small bowl) of goldfish crackers

-3 cups stir fry (just veggies... rice and pasta and bread freak me out), 4 oreos (despite the carb phobia with the other stuff, I'm not afraid of cookies).

Picky eater due to being picky, or an eating disorder? For me it is the second. This was a pretty good day of eating for me :P

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 20, 10 14:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Check out greek yogurt as a great way to get extra protein if you're not a fan of eating meat. The 2% version has something like 18grms of protein per serving as well as calcium and a bunch of other good stuff. Throw in some granola, honey, and/or fruit and it's the perfect quick breakfast or snack. Super delicious!

http://smallfoodbiz.com
</blatent self-marketing>
Quote Reply
Re: hungry all the time! [lilpups] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks for the replies. Firstly tigerchic, thanks for post, I appreciate the information you provided. Secondly, I don't really think it is fair for you to suggest that I have an eating disorder, that is a strong statement to make. I think if one was to look at your days eats they might say your not having enough protein. Just like everyone else, time is always an issue and I am trying to make the best of the limited time and money that I have.

Based on everyones suggests I went to the store and bought some feta cheese, marble cheese, yogurt, some almonds and some turkey/chicken sausages that look tasty! Thanks for the greek yogurt recipe, it looks tasty, quick and easy. I'll definitely give it a go. I also plan to start a food diary and take note of my energy levels. Thanks again
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I dont think tigerchik was suggesting YOU have an eating disorder, she was being very honest about herself and giving a point of reference.
Also - yes you are on the right track by including more protein and fat. I used to think I NEEDED a bagel or oatmeal before a workout, then more carbs during and after....not true. Since I have started eating a more paleo/primal diet, I have lost weight, not sick, eat less during long rides and runs, and jsut feel great! I eat NO sugar at all, sometimes honey. Larabars are my ride/run fuel. Fat is not the enemy as once feared, get some Fage yogurt-full fat is best, if you cant deal with that try 2 %.
If interested I follow the www.marksdailyapple.com eating plan.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Secondly, I don't really think it is fair for you to suggest that I have an eating disorder, that is a strong statement to make.

I wasn't suggesting, I was asking. They're pretty common in female athletes and as it's something I've fought extensively with, I ask, because sometimes people have one and are too afraid to come out and say it. An eating disorder is nothing to be ashamed of.

I am glad you don't have an eating disorder.

Last edited by: tigerchik: Mar 21, 10 3:41
Quote Reply
Re: hungry all the time! [triLA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi triLA, thanks for your post. I checked out the link you got. I'm not sure I like the suggestion to limit carbohydrates. I think it is important to chose the right food, i.e. whole wheat bagels and oats. Can you give me an idea of what a typical days food plan would be and how restrictive the carbohydrate limitation is? thanks

Tigerchic, fair enough, I think like most females I am concerned about what and how much I eat. I should view food as it is, a fuel source and eat enough of the appropriate foods to fuel it so that I can train to the level I want to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Hi triLA, thanks for your post. I checked out the link you got. I'm not sure I like the suggestion to limit carbohydrates. I think it is important to chose the right food, i.e. whole wheat bagels and oats. Can you give me an idea of what a typical days food plan would be and how restrictive the carbohydrate limitation is? thanks

Marks Daily Apple was founded by a former world-class marathoner and triathlete. I encourage you to read his definitive guide to grains if you want to learn more about what carbs are restricted on a primal/paleo diet, and why whole wheat bagels and oats might not be "right food". Here is a post from MDA about endurance athletes, written by a professional triathlete.
I have a few clients that are training for IMs now that are doing excellent on a paleo or primal diet, losing body fat and eating without weighing or measuring of any kind. No grains, most are also no dairy, carbs coming from fruit and veggie sources only. I just wrote a blog about it today if you want to read it.

Jessica
Last edited by: Jessica: Mar 25, 10 11:31
Quote Reply