Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and here's another article along the same lines

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5069064
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when I moved to the US from Europe for Grad School, I gained about a pound a month for the first six months. And I'm a physiologist, so I should know better! The portion sizes here are simply incredible. Even the silverware is bigger! A small coke at McD's is like a large back home.Growing up, I always had to finish what I put on my plate. Not such a hot idea at the Cheesecake factory...

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I grew up (I'm 46 now), my family had the nice Lenox china we pulled out for special occasions. I always liked it, and my mom gave the set to me after I got married. I wanted to use it for a special dinner a couple of years ago, and pulled it out. "Hmm, this must be the salad plate." Nope: it was the dinner plate. The dishware we use has gotten bigger to accommodate the portions we eat...

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So we're forcing them to eat and adopt our lifestyle?

Give me a break.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 The dishware we use has gotten bigger to accommodate the portions we eat...

Needless to say, so have our asses, and medical bills. Sad.

Josef
-------
blog
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [JoB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is sad...people stuffing their pie holes and sitting on the couch all day. Fat-asses need to get out and exercise...including those immigrants.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [Brian286] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"So we're forcing them to eat and adopt our lifestyle? "

Did anybody say that?

It's actually a commentary on "our lifestyle". There are disadvantages to the lifestyle in the land of plenty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I read the report and watched it on the news.

Like I said, accountability for ones actions should be the focus. Not placing the blame on a "lifestyle."

By the way, what exactly is the American lifestyle?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
NPR had a report on this issue this morning, as well. They're saying that, on average, an immigrant man will gain 11 pounds over the first 6 years he's here in our country, and an immigrant woman will gain 9.

A partial explanation, according to some of the experts they interviewed, was that many of the items that these immigrants eat over here are considered "special, hard-to-get" items back in their home countries (American soda pop, chips and candybars), and that they have a premium price tag on them, if they can get them at all.

So, once here, they overindulge. I also hazard a guess that in many countries, a heavier (or even fat) person is looked upon as someone of wealth, who can afford luxuries like additional food and treats. This is the case, especially, in many countries in Africa. Again, once they're here, all the stops have been pulled, and the pounds start getting packed on.

T.
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The article and reports have a slant that it's "our" fault that they gain pounds once they come here.

I don't buy that at all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, Bry.....haven't you heard? America is the source of all the world's ills ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Maybe they should have stayed home.. [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"America is the source of all the world's ills ;-) "

Wouldn't say that, and the articles certainly didn't. But what is obvious is there is an obesity problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Won't argue with you on the obesity issue. In fact the industrialized world has an obesity issue.

It's up to the individual to take responsibility for what they eat, whether they exercise or sit in front of the tv everyday.

It's not an "American" lifestyle issue. It's a person's lifestyle issue.
Quote Reply