Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Howard Dean speech
Quote | Reply
Remarks by Governor Howard Dean On the Future of the Democratic Party

The George Washington University

Thank you, Melissa, for that introduction. It's a pleasure to be here.

Let me tell you what my plan for this Party is:

We're going to win in Mississippi

...and Alabama

...and Idaho

...and South Carolina.

Four years ago, the President won 49 percent of the vote. The Republican Party treated it like it was a mandate, and we let them get away with it.

Fifty one percent is not a mandate either. And this time we're not going to let them get away with it.

Our challenge today is not to re-hash what has happened, but to look forward, to make the Democratic Party a 50-state party again, and, most importantly, to win.

To win the White House and a majority in Congress, yes. But also to do the real work that will make these victories possible -- to put Democratic ideas and Democratic candidates in every office -- whether it be Secretary of State, supervisor of elections, county commissioner or school board member.

Here in Washington, it seems that after every losing election, there's a consensus reached among decision-makers in the Democratic Party is that the way to win is to be more like Republicans.

I suppose you could call that philosophy: if you didn't beat 'em, join them.

I'm not one for making predictions -- but if we accept that philosophy this time around, another Democrat will be standing here in four years giving this same speech. We cannot win by being "Republican-lite." We've tried it; it doesn't work.

The question is not whether we move left or right. It's not about our direction. What we need to start focusing on... is the destination.

There are some practical elements to the destination.

The destination of the Democratic Party requires that it be financially viable, able to raise money not only from big donors but small contributors, not only through dinners and telephone solicitations and direct mail, but also through the Internet and person-to-person outreach.

The destination of the Democratic Party means making it a party that can communicate with its supporters and with all Americans. Politics is at its best when we create and inspire a sense of community. The tools that were pioneered in my campaign -- like blogs and Meetups and most importantly, community building -- are just a start. We must use all of the power and potential of technology as part of an aggressive outreach to meet and include voters, to work with the state parties and to influence media coverage.

The most practical destination is winning elective office. And we must do that at every level of government.

The way we will rebuild the Democratic Party is not from consultants down, but from the ground up.

We have some successes to build on. We raised more money than the RNC, and we did so by attracting thousands of new small donors. This is the first time in my memory that the DNC is not coming out of a national campaign in debt. We trained tens of thousands of new activists.

We put together the most sophisticated get-out-the-vote operation our Party has ever had. We registered millions of new voters, including a record number of minority and young voters. And we saw those new voters overwhelmingly vote Democrat.

Now we need to build on our successes while transforming the Democratic Party into a grassroots organization that can win in 50 states.

I have seen all the doomsday predictions that the Democratic Party could shrink to become a regional Party. A Party of the Northeast and the Pacific Northwest.

We cannot be a Party that seeks the presidency by running an 18-state campaign. We cannot be a party that cedes a single state, a single District, a single precinct, nor should we cede a single voter.

As many of the candidates supported by my organization Democracy for America showed -- people in places that we've too long ignored are hungry for an alternative; they're hungry for new ideas and new candidates, and they're willing to elect Democrats.

Since we started Democracy for America last March, we raised over $5 million, mostly from small donors.

That money was used to help 748 candidates in 46 states and at every level of government.

We helped a Democratic governor get elected in Montana and a Democratic mayor get elected in Salt Lake County, Utah.

We helped Lori Saldana in San Diego. Lori, a Latina grassroots environmental organizer was outspent in both the primary and the general, won a seat on the state assembly.

We also helped Anita Kelly become the first African-American woman elected to her circuit court in Montgomery, Alabama.

Fifteen of the candidates who we helped win last month never ran for elective office before.

And in Texas, a little known candidate who had been written off completely ran the first competitive race against Tom Delay in over a decade.

And others who lost came very close, including Scott Kawasaki who lost by only 45 votes in an Alaska state legislative race -- in a very Republican state. We can win in these states, and we will.

There are no red states or blue states, just American states. And if we can compete at all levels and in the most conservative parts of the country, we can win... at any level and anywhere.

People will vote for Democratic candidates in Texas, and Alabama and Utah if we knock on their door, introduce ourselves and tell them what we believe.

There is another destination beyond strong finances, outreach and campaigns.

That destination is a better, stronger, smarter, safer, healthier America.

An America where we don't turn our back on our own people.

That's the America we can only build with conviction.

When some people say we should change direction, in essence they are arguing that our basic or guiding principles can be altered or modified.

They can't.

On issue after issue, we are where the majority of the American people are.

What I want to know is, at what point did it become a radical notion to stand up for what we believe?

Over fifty years ago, Harry Truman said, "We are not going to get anywhere by trimming or appeasing. And we don't need to try it."

Yet here we are still making the same mistakes.

Let me tell you something: there's only one thing Republican power brokers want more than for us to lurch to the left -- and that's for us to lurch to the right.

What they fear most is that we may really begin fighting for what we believe -- the fiscally responsible, socially progressive values for which Democrats have always stood and fought.

I'll give this to Republicans. They know the America they want. They want a government so small that, in the words of one prominent Republican, it can be drowned in a bathtub.

They want a government that runs big deficits, but is small enough to fit into your bedroom.

They want a government that is of, by and for their special interest friends.

They want a government that preaches compassion but practices division.

They want wealth rewarded over work.

And they are willing to use any means to get there.

In going from record surpluses to record deficits, the Republican Party has relinquished the mantle of fiscal responsibility.

And now they're talking about borrowing another $2 trillion to take benefits away from our Senior Citizens.

In going from record job creation to record job loss, they have abandoned the mantle of economic responsibility.

In cutting health care, education, and community policing programs... and in failing to invest in America's inner cities, or distressed rural communities... they certainly have no desire to even claim the mantle of social responsibility.

In their refusal to embrace real electoral reform or conduct the business of government in the light of day, they are hardly the model of civic responsibility.

In their willingness to change the rules so that their indicted leaders can stay in power, they have even given up any claim on personal responsibility.

And in starting an international conflict based on misleading information, I believe they have abdicated America's moral responsibility, as well.

There is a Party of fiscal responsibility... economic responsibility... social responsibility... civic responsibility... personal responsibility... and moral responsibility.

It's the Democratic Party.

We need to be able to say strongly, firmly, and proudly what we believe.

Because we are what we believe.

And we believe every person in America should have access to affordable health care. It is wrong that we remain the only industrialized nation in the world that does not assure health care for all of its citizens.

We believe the path to a better future goes directly through our public schools. I have nothing against private schools, parochial schools and home schooling. Parents with the means and inclination should choose whatever they believe is best for their children. But those choices must never come at the expense of what has been -- and must always be -- the great equalizer in our society; public education.

We believe that if you put in a lifetime of work, you have earned a retirement of dignity -- not one that is put at risk by your government or unethical business practices.

The first time our nation balanced its budget, it was Andrew Jackson, father of the Democratic Party, who did it. The last time our nation balanced its budget, it was Bill Clinton who did it. I did it every year as Governor. Democrats believe in fiscal responsibility and we're the only ones who have delivered it.

We believe that every single American has a voice and that it should be heard in the halls of power everyday. And it most certainly must be heard on Election Day. Democracies around the world look to us as a model. How can we be worthy of their aspirations when we have not done enough to guarantee accurate elections for our own citizens.

We believe in a strong and secure America... and we believe we will be stronger by having a moral foreign policy.

We need to embrace real political reform -- because only real reform will pry government from the grasp of the special interests who fight against reform and progress.

The pundits have said that this election was decided on the issue of moral values. I don't believe that. It is a moral value to provide health care. It is a moral value to educate our young people. The sense of community that comes from full participation in our Democracy is a moral value. Honesty is a moral value.

If this election had been decided on moral values, Democrats would have won.

It is time for the Democratic Party to start framing the debate.

We have to learn to punch our way off the ropes.

We have to set the agenda.

We should not hesitate to call for reform -- reform in elections, reform in health care and education, reforms that promote ethical business practices.

And, yes, we need to talk about some internal reform in the Democratic Party as well, and I'll be discussing that more specifically in the days ahead.

Reform is the hallmark of a strong Democratic Party.

Those who stand in the way of reform cannot be the focus of our attention for only four months out of every four years.

Reform is a daily battle.

And we must pursue those reforms with conviction -- every day, at all levels, in 50 states.

A little while back, at a fundraiser, a woman came up to me. She identified herself as an evangelical Christian from Texas. I asked her what you are all wondering -- why was she supporting me. She said there were two reasons. The first was that she had a child who had poly-cystic kidney disease, and that the illness made it impossible for their family to get health insurance.

The second thing she said was, "The real reason we're with you is because evangelical Christians are people of deep conviction, and you're a person of deep conviction.

We may not agree with you on everything, but what we want more than anything else from our government is that when something happens to our family or something happens to our country -- it's that the people in office have deep conviction."

We are what we believe. And the American people know it.

And I believe that over the next two... four... ten years...

Election by election...

State by state...

Precinct by precinct...

Door by door...

Vote by vote...

We're going to lift our Party up...

And we're going to take this country back for the people who built it.

Governor Howard Dean -- December 8, 2004

Obviously he's making his case for the job but interested in the groups thoughts on the speech and on Howard Dean as DNC chairman.

Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [TTTorso] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's a pretty interesting speech. i thought it was always a shame that his one speech after iowa(?) basically killed him. it seemed to me that he was trying to reach the right people--i.e. rank and file dems, move away from special interests--and trying to motivate non-voters into hitting the polls.

chairman might be a good position. he did well fund raising in his own campaign and seems to have ideas on direction and making the dems more appealing in the midwest.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL...that is exactly what i was thinking when I read the 'we're gonna win...' part!

I thought it was a good speech, probably a bit overly optimistic in some cases, but I guess that is what Dems need at this point.
Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [mclamb6] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. He is passionate and I think would make a good chairman as he isn't afraid to call the Republicans out.

I think sooner or later his personality was going to take him out of the race unfortunately. Very smart man, but I think he comes off a bit too cold to appeal to enough to win the presidency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's too bad that in our political environment, one 3min clip of one speech in which only his audio was isolated and played again and again could pretty much completely eliminate an interesting candidate from the running. I don't know if he would have won or been a good Pres, but to have your entire campaign go down in flames like that largely because of a bad media moment is a shame.

Slowguy

(insert pithy phrase here...)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"Four years ago, the President won 49 percent of the vote. The Republican Party treated it like it was a mandate, and we let them get away with it.

Fifty one percent is not a mandate either. And this time we're not going to let them get away with it. "

These opening paragraphs show why the Democrats are dead and not going anywhere soon. Bush won. Picking apart the victory on talks of mandates is useless. Meanings of words do not change what happened.

The democrats are a party of technicalities and word splitting. Victory is a grand scheme not a dictionary entry.

customerjon @gmail.com is where information happens.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This speech, and many just like it are perfect examples of why the Democratic party hasn't hit bottom yet. There is not a single positive policy approach advocated and explained. The entire thing is about money and process and words.

No vision to relate on morals, so just redefine the word. No vision on terrorism, so ignore the issue completely. No policy he cares to explain and defend on healthcare, so just mention sweeping goals along the lines of Mom and apple pie. No vision on SS, so just rely on the 20 year old scare policy of saying Republicans want to destroy it.

Can't someone in this party write a new playbook? To quote that great philosopher Mr. T, when talking about Rocky, "He's so dumb, he's predictable."

At least he didn't tell the voters that they were stupid, so I guess that is a start.

I really like Howard Dean because he is genuine and passionate. Where he will lead the party is in a direction like McGovern though. It would be a disaster for the Democrats. It would probably be a disaster for the Republicans too since, even though they would win lots of elections, they would get more lazy and corrupt like the pre 1994 Democrats.

We really need two competitive parties in this country. Dean won't give us that, but maybe he could run things down like a Gorbechev (sp?) so as to eventually trigger a real reform.

This party badly needs another Governor (I hate to say it, but like Clinton) that can pull off a Sister Solja(sp?) moment with the Michael Moore wing of the party and at least pretend to be a moderate that can appeal to the red states.

Very disappointing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Just what the Dems need. Yet ANOTHER Northeastern liberal elite from a tiny state. God bless him, I hope he succeeds. But I can't feature it.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think you are dead wrong. the theme of his speech is getting back to a grassroots movement and tapping into the non-voting segment of the population.

mandate talk, when a person gets 51-53% of 65% of the voting population, is completely overblown--whichever side is doing it. he's not nitpicking and he's not debating whether bush won. he's saying the dems want to create a real mandate. they want to reach as many people as possible. they want to fight for every election. they want to create a ground swell from the rank and file voters that increases voter participation and allows the dems to win in a landslide.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
He started the speech with the mandate crap. That shows the attitude. What ever he says after this meaningless because he showed in the opening that he is lost in the past and not really victory minded.

Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [Mr. Tibbs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
so your attitude is that he should be talking about winning even if it's by one vote rather than winning convincingly? ok, i get that, but can't he have a bigger vision that that? his goal is to bring the party back to the people or get the people to connect with the party.

further, he seemed pretty victory minded to me--he talked about contesting every election possible and conceding nothing. if you do that and are successful, the "mandate" will come.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds to me like he was talking about the mechanical part of the plan. What's the Dem's grand vision for reconnecting with the middle class, which looked pretty much like it didn't trust the Dems or Kerry in the last election?

Say what you will, 3.5 million votes, given the polarization of the electorate, was a hell of a shift to Bush. The Dems are going to have a very hard time overcoming that movement in '06 and '08.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
-- This speech, and many just like it are perfect examples of why the Democratic party hasn't hit bottom yet. There is not a single positive policy approach advocated and explained. The entire thing is about money and process and words.

-- No vision to relate on morals, so just redefine the word. No vision on terrorism, so ignore the issue completely. No policy he cares to explain and defend on healthcare, so just mention sweeping goals along the lines of Mom and apple pie. No vision on SS, so just rely on the 20 year old scare policy of saying Republicans want to destroy it.

I don't think the goal of the speech was to layout a detailed policy plan for the Democratic party. It was really not much more than a rah rah speech to give depressed Dems hope.

The main thing the Democrats have going for them now is that the Republicans have control of this country. When Bush and Co. are done, the millions of moderates will realize the Republican plan continues to fail for a huge majority of America. I predict that the Democratic party will have sharpened their message and will take advantage of a Republican party weakened by blatant social and economic irresponsibility.

The other thing the Dems have going for them are the millions of disgustingly arrogant Republicans who think they will never lose another election!
Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [big kahuna] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
geez, you expect a lot from one speech.

the reasons i liked dean are: he's not simply going to cow-tow to the dnc big wigs. he's trying to reach people beyond special and monied interests which is a HUGE problem for BOTH parties. in other words, he was making a concerted effort to get the dem party back to its roots--the little guy/working class. no other candidates really made that effort. for that, he is to be commended. is he liberal? sure. but it's not the typical dem status quo for him. sort of a dem analogue to mccain.

did he articulate specific policies? no. but he at least started talking in terms of moving the dems past the northeast, upper midwest, and the west coast, rather than the typical approach of consolidate our base in those areas, ignore the middle of the country, and focus on a couple states with sizable electoral votes and that is a toss up.

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, the Democrats really need something more than to hope for "millions of disgustingly arrogant Republicans" to drop the ball. I do admit that could well happen, however.

Right now, that is about all they have. How about a little vision? How about a message? How about creative policies rather than defending the status quo? How about actually trying to solve problems rather than using them to frame an election issue?

Dean's speech has none of that, nor has any other prominent Democrat articulated such an approach.

Dean, at least, has some passionate principals that he will consistently advocate, but they won't sell with the public outside of Vermont.

Hey, if you guys don't want Liberman, I would love to have him as Secretary of Homeland Security. He sure ain't going anywhere in the Democratic party.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It may be that the Dems might one day wrest power back, but they're going to have to overcome increasingly formidable odds in doing so. Even as we speak (said in a sinister tone ;-), Republicans are gerrymandering, jiggering and otherwise tilting the mechanics of the electoral process in this country in their favor even more so than in the last 4 years.

And say what you will. As long as Nancy Pelosi, Howard Dean, Barbara Boxer and other ultra-liberal Dems insist on holding sway over party policies, to the detriment of Harry Reid, people are going to continue to cast a jaundiced eye upon the party. And MoveOn's little manifesto, in which they state that they've bought the party, and will ensure that they and their ilk have the final say over policy, isn't going to play so well in the red states, I'd say.

Tony
Quote Reply
Re: Howard Dean speech [ajfranke] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dean's speech, at this point in time, wasn't supposed to have any of that. or at least it didn't seem to me that he was intending to establish policy at this point. as tttorso said, it was more just a rally the troops, rah rah type of speech. there were some seedlings of direction that dean would like to see the party go, but it wasn't trying to flesh out a platform. and given that it's a month after the elections, i don't think it should be expected...

and on a different note, if the repubs don't produce significant results on whatever agenda they are going to push in the next 4 years, the mandate will dry up very quickly. the repubs will find it difficult to blame anyone other than themselves if they don't accomplish much...

f/k/a mclamb6
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bush is dead. The election is over. Talk of Bush of not being some how "elected enough" is stupid. It shows when the hammer meets the nail in 2006 they will panic and talk about the past.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree for the most part that it is OK that Dean's speech didn't really outline any direction. The problem is that I haven't heard a single speech from a single prominent Democrat that does. All I hear, as in this speech, is words and process, never any policy explained and intellectually defended.

There is no lack of any such potential plans ranging from the war on terrorism to SS. Yet they never get articulated, probably because any specific plan threatens to split the Democratic base. The party really needs to get over that, much the way the Republicans have by basically doing nothing to appeal to the most conservative elements in the party since we have no where to go.

Give us Lieberman. He is welcome in this party.
Quote Reply