Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Best hubs (do bearings make any difference?)
Quote | Reply
I'm building up some carbon rims with 24 spokes so my choice of hubs is limited. So far I'm trying to decide between Dura Ace (325g) and American Classic hubs (225g) which both come in 24 holes.

The American Classic hubs are obviously lighter and have sealed cartridge bearings compared to the slightly heavier (100g +/-) Dura Ace hubs which I understand have ball bearings and races.

I've heard a few different things, including that the Dura Ace hubs are smoother and have less rolling resistance (because of the bearings), but I wondered if anyone had any feedback on these? If so, how much difference does it make?

Any recommendations on other hubs that come in 24 holes?

http://irondad06.blogspot.com/

http://irondad.blogspot.com/

Quote Reply
Re: Best hubs (do bearings make any difference?) [IronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had American Classic hubs that will spin and spin, longer than just about any loose bearing hub that I've ever had--including the new dura ace. Personally, I'd go with the AmC hubs.

Another other option might be the Ringle 'Son of Bubba' front hub. I wouldn't use the Ringle rear hub as it is heavy and there have been durability problems, but the front is super smooth, but a little heavier than the American Classic.

Chris King probably also makes a 24 hole hubset as well. I've seen some really nice wheels built with King hubs. They are really expensive, but come in awesome colors and the rear is a favorite of mountain bikers because of the durability, weight, and colors. If they don't make a 24, they might make a 48 for tandems, and you could probably just lace every other hole.

It's hard to beat Dura Ace, but the Kings and American Classic hubs just might imho.

-Brandon

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply