Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Looks like I'm having surgery
Quote | Reply
Saw a doc today on this U Hernia I have. He feels that with how active I am it is only going to get worse in the future.

So 4 weeks of lifting no more than 10 lbs and walking/SLOW jogging during that time only.

I really don't want surgery but I really don't want this thing getting bigger which would require a bigger surgery later.

Crap.

Any ideas on what I can do so that I don't go out of my mind during this time? I'm not one that knows 'in-between'. I'm all or nothing and this is going to be a test for sure.

Quote | Reply
>>Any ideas on what I can do so that I don't go out of my mind during this time? I'm not one that knows 'in-between'. I'm all or nothing and this is going to be a test for sure. <<

Be thankful that it's only 4 weeks and you can walk/jog. Ask if you can ride a recumbent bike. Or swim. Or do other things like normal people do. And be thankful that it's 4 weeks. Or did I say that already.

clm, whose "4-6 weeks to full recovery and back full on training" is now at 5 months and counting

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I'm having surgery [RunMomRun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had Sports Hernia surgery back in October. Not sure if a U Hernia is the same or not.

The 6 weeks I "took off" flew by.

Hope you have a good recovery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No ideas, just wanted to wish you well.

"A merry heart doeth good like medicine." (Proverbs 17:22)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yikes! looks like I'm next then... not that I've discussed it with my doc yet... but how big is yours? how long have you had it? AP

------------------------
"How bad could it be?" - SimpleS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't have any experience with this, but good luck!!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I'm having surgery [AndyPants] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
yikes! looks like I'm next then... not that I've discussed it with my doc yet... but how big is yours? how long have you had it? AP

Mine is pretty small; so much so he plans on sewing the muscle back together rather than doing the mesh inserty thing (usually happens with more intense cases I guess). I would say it's the size of a grape. Doesn't hurt at all but feels all kinds of wrong. Nasty!

I've had it for a week. :)

Quote | Reply
I empathize; I will have to have surgery at some point this spring and will have the 6-8 weeks off/easy.

I have no ideas yet except to stock up on books.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wow only a week eh? Hmm.. yeah I guess with it coming on like that kinda suddenly, I can see why they suggested surgery... Good luck, let me know how it goes! AP

------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I'm having surgery [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Books are good. Also focus on enjoying the Vicodin without getting hooked on it. If you can control yourself it's a blast, the world is perfect while taking it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you mean in general or workout wise? I am on day 8 post op. Initially, it was going to be brace for 6 weeks, crutches for 10-12, but a setback has now pushed that to 8 and 16. I can't do anything until the brace comes off, so I feel your pain.

If you can walk, do it...you can get a decent workout in, provided you are not lollygagging. Could you add poles?

Can you spin lightly on the trainer?

Really, don't stress it--give your body a chance to heal. 4 weeks seems like a while, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not too bad. The most important thing you can do is get well and not delay your recovery.

On the mental front: Reading (a Kindle is GREAT time killer). Set the DVR if you have one now for a bunch of shows that intrigue you...documentaries, trash TV, etc. Fill up the Netflix.

Learn to do something totally new and different... try embroidery, model making, painting, etc etc. Find a skill to master that you never considered before and try it out. Learn three new things about it each day. Trick is to keep yourself busy and stimulated. :-)

mmm-mmm-Momo Charms
Handmade beverage charms, jewelry, and miscellanea

http://momocharms.wordpress.com
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I'm having surgery [mmrocker13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great ideas everyone. Looking at it in the grand scheme of things 4 weeks really isn't anything. Keeping busy, for me, will indeed be the key.

I just found out that the husband of an employee of my parents has terminal cancer. Causes me to reflect a little bit and stop worrying/complaining about things that really aren't as big as they feel.

Quote | Reply
when i was laid up with sciatica and had to be flat on my back 24/7 for a month, i started knitting. most of my books (hardcover novels) were too heavy to hold up over my head for any length of time, but wool & needles worked. can't say i accomplished anything impressive, but my kitty got a soft, fuzzy blanket for her basket!

cheers!

-mistress k

Quote | Reply
Hope you're recovery goes well. I had a major hernia surgery in 1999...not laparoscopic...major surgery. It sucked...doctor cut me 6 inches straight up my stomach...right around the belly button...had to cut out a large section of my weakened stomach muscle and then stretch the muscle back together and stitch it together. He used permanent stitches, no mesh...I specifically requested no mesh....he believed in permanent stitches as a very high percentage of patients who don't get them are back in for a repeat surgery. Good thing I was in the best shape of my life going into surgery and I had super strong abs, except the part that was weakened and separated. That surgery was the most painful thing I ever went through (had 2 previous c-sections and they were a cake-walk in comparison) and recovery took forever. I felt like someone beat the hell out of my stomach and sides when I came to from the anesthesia. Doc said it was because they had to cut and then stretch my abdominal muscles to stitch them back together. OUCH....I thought I was going to die. I cried when I saw my stomach afterwards....it was puckered...through the years, it got better though. Hang in there :)

Carol Bedard
http://www.racesrmybag.com
Blog: http://blog.racesrmybag.com/

"If you could swim, bike and run and never get tired...why would you want to do anything else?"
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like I'm having surgery [Races R My Bag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok that sounded PAINFUL. The first week for me was pretty stinking painful but I got through it. Luckily mine was very small and very easy to fix. I'm on day 9 of recovery and besides being a little sore and if I move wrong I feel it; I feel great. I'm still restricted from lifting more than 10 pounds (although I asked my surgeon if I could go to the gym and just lift 5 pound weights; he shook his head no at me). Glad I did it and am enjoying the little forced break!

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'm still restricted from lifting more than 10 pounds (although I asked my surgeon if I could go to the gym and just lift 5 pound weights; he shook his head no at me).

LOL.

I am glad you are doing well post-surgery. Thanks for the update.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hah! glad to hear you're getting better... AP

------------------------
Quote Reply