Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Weight loss advice [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What you said is true for your physiology, not mine. And, what you said might be true for some people, not all people. Again, responders or non-responders…..

Maybe I did not explain myself well enough. You have likely heard the saying “fat burns in a carbohydrate fire.” Imagine a large log (Fat) in a fire pit….if you strike a match and hold it to the side of the log, it will not ignite the log. If you took four rolls of tightly wound up newspaper (carbohydrates) and placed them on top of the log and lit them, they would not ignite the log either….they would simply burn out. But, if you took those same four rolls of newspaper, placed them underneath the log and lit them, they would ignite the log and the log would burn, producing a lot of heat. So, for my physiology, the ‘bundling up’ work out affects fat burning the same way placing newspaper under the log ignites the log and produces heat. It works…..for me.

There are things to consider before adding this workout to ones routine, such as having plenty of ice water on handJ Also, increasing ones sodium intake to deal with the dehydration you mentioned. Another thing I have noticed is that fair-skinned Caucasian folks typically do not respond well to this workout. I’m not sure why. I’m a dark skinned white boy, so I’m not going to worry about it..

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss advice [dirtyharri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i find one of the best ways to get lean without a big time commitment or dieting is intervals. lots and lots of interval training.

you don't have to do hours of them a day...75 minutes a day with intervals where you're really working hard...swim, bike or run.

no need to diet, just eat sensibly.

i don't know how this fits in with your race preparations, but for weight loss and just getting really fit looking i think this can make a huge difference.

thing i like about this approach is there isn't a lot of struggling to get there. and you don't have to struggle to maintain. it's also great training, which is the main thing!!

i know how horrible it can be when you don't like the way you look. tough thing for women i think is recognizing when we get to that point where we look good. when you're so used to seeing yourself as chubby it's hard to get that image out of your head. funny how looking in the mirror doesn't really do the trick. at some point you just have to trust in what others or the numbers tell you.
Quote Reply
Re: Weight loss advice [AmericanPeople] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fat burning in a carbohydrate fire has to do with the Citric Acid Cycle. The energy required to break down a fat molecule has to come from a little bit of glycogen. I have forgotten the specifics. Your log and newspaper example is in no way analogous to the CAC.

You have "invented" some way to get yourself to lose a bunch of water weight. Good for you. But there is NOT a physiological basis for losing more weight from running in a sweater and down coat; that weight is WATER weight and nothing more. All you are doing, as I said before, is putting your body through some chronic dehydration.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like I said, it works for me. The log and newspaper example is the best way I could explain it. Since you know my physiology better than I do, perhaps I can stop training completely and burn calories vicariously through you and your training regimen…..

Here’s how it works: I do a full body workout at the gym that takes about 75 minutes. I hit bis, tris, shoulders and back with two exercises per @ 3 sets x 12 reps each. Abs are two exercises at about 4 sets x 50. Quads/Thighs I push heavy weights: squats and sleds @ 4 X 30 each. I do calves heavy 4 x 50. From there, I get all ‘bundled up’ and either run for an hour, or get on a spin bike and crank away for 60 minutes. For good measure, I hit the sauna for 15 minutes immediately afterwards…..just to make sure I’m not cheating my body out of any extra fat burning opportunities. So, it’s 75 minutes of heavy lifting and 75 minutes of sweating my ass off 3X per week. I am never dehydrated. If I was, it would show in the normal swim/bike/run training I do during the rest of the week.

Not long ago, conventional wisdom said that optimal fat burning occurred between 60-75% of ones max heart rate…..at an aerobic pace. For some people, this might be true, but as Bluepoint said “lots and lots of interval training” is a solution because it works for her (maybe Bluepoint is a dude, but since this is the Womens forum I’ll assume she is a chick) Interval training scares some people because of the intensity and I’m sure many experts would jump all over Bluepoint’s shit for suggesting anyone do interval training every day. But if it works for her, right on!! It might or might not work for you….

There is so much contradictory science out there: new research shows that blood lactate is your friend, it’s an energy source – interval training amplifies testosterone production in male athletes. But there is other scientific research that would suggest the opposite. Perhaps it is because each of us is wired differently? Again = Responder or Non-responder.

Let me explain myself this way: I hate sweet potatoes. I don’t like the way they taste, I don’t like the consistency….sweet potatoes are disgusting to me. That’s my physiology = sweet potatoes make me puke. However, I think the taste of sweet potatoes is agreeable to most people. Why do you think that is? Or, are you going to tell me I actually like them?

Just one more thing: I replied to this thread only because of this:

It's making me really unhappy on a daily basis with how i look and it's shattering my confidence.

Really could do with some advice and support from you all.

I have been there and I am familiar with despair like that. So, I’m just trying to help a Sister out. I hope dirtyharri can take a little bit from what all of us are offering and find a solution that leads to her happiness and positive self-imagery.

**All of these words finding themselves together were greatly astonished and delighted for assuredly, they had never met before**
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You have "invented" some way to get yourself to lose a bunch of water weight. Good for you. But there is NOT a physiological basis for losing more weight from running in a sweater and down coat; that weight is WATER weight and nothing more. All you are doing, as I said before, is putting your body through some chronic dehydration.

Hey, Tigerchik, look at me!!

I got this way through sweating my ass off.........through my 'bundling up' workout routine.

Iit is worth noting that regular SBR training is a decent precursor for weight-loss. However, if, like the OP, you really are desperate for results, there is a path....if you are willing to sweat your ass off and suffer.

Quote Reply

Prev Next