Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Shamal Vs. Jet 60....Advice needed
Quote | Reply
I know people ask about wheels about every third post on this forum, but I must also ask for the advice of individuals more knowledgeable than myself, so please bear with me.

I am looking for a front wheel and have the option of getting either a new Shamal (old stock in a local shop) or a new Jet 60. The Shamal would be about a $100 cheaper, but I can also get "pro-deal" on the Jet (making it around $240). My question is this: the Shamal has 40mm rim depth (I think) with 16 spokes, and the Jet has a 60mm rim depth with 24 spokes. Is it worth the extra money to get the Jet or would the Shamal be a better value? If it is any help, I am not the greatest cyclist in the world (usually split about 64-66 minutes for olympic distance). Thanks for any advice, and sorry to bring up the issue again.

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: Shamal Vs. Jet 60....Advice needed [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Shamal has always tested VERY well aerodynamically.

I race TT's with it's slightly less costly cousin, the Campy Vento, as my front wheel -- same exact rim profile and spoke count as the Shamal. Have won 4 straight state masters TT titles on it, so my .02 would be to grab the Shamal.
Quote Reply
Re: Shamal Vs. Jet 60....Advice needed [asutriathlete] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have Jet 60's front/rear as one of my wheel sets. I find the front Jet 60 is fine with a rear disc but you really feel the wind when running it with the rear 60. I'd go for the Shamal.
Quote Reply
Re: Shamal Vs. Jet 60....Advice needed [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I train every day on Shamal HPW12 Ti wheels...bomb proof. Great wheels, great hubs, great all around.

I do still prefer to race on the 404's or 909's.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply