Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death
Quote | Reply
Many on this board were quite interested in this story when Pat Tillman was first killed. I thought some might be interested in this two part article that spells out the whole friendly fire shooting and the Army's subsequent reaction. I am reluctant to editorialize because I know many on this board sit there in front of the computer just itching for verbal warfare. SO I will just say this makes for very interesting reading.

Part 1:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...c4.html?nav=hcmodule

Part 2:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/...A37679-2004Dec5.html
Last edited by: johnt: Dec 6, 04 8:22
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When things started going bad--vehicle and comm breakdowns--people started changing the plan on the fly and freelancing in an effort to accomplish the mission. Operational risk management out the window and a recipe for disaster.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [johnt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am a little saddened that this has to be front page material. I realize that the public has a huge interest in the Pat Tillman story. It seems like the coverage is somehow trying to minimize Tillman's heroism and sacrifice. My own perspective of Tillman is unchanged: Here is a guy who makes millions of dollars and enjoys the status and privileges of a professional athlete. He gives it all up to serve his country and ends up giving up his life as well. Mistakes, friendly fire, he's still a hero in my book.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve Coll is one of the best, if not THE best, military affairs reporter working today.

his book "Ghost Wars" is the primer for anyone who is serious about understanding the American involvement Afghanistan from the 70s onward.

Too bad this is the coda to the Pat Tillman story, a hilariously inept cover up of an obvious FF incident for the sake of national narrative.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [tri_larry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Larry, long time no hear. I thought you died or something.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [tri_bri2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>>>I thought you died or something.

why?

did you miss the "Iraq: Providing Hope" thread?

the chatroom that prays together, stays together
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [tri_larry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess I wasn't following that one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good article. It reminds me of climbing disasters because one, seemingly, small decision sets in motion a chain of events that when in combination with other small decisions turns into disaster. I think the way the Army handled it was poor too. I have to feel bad for those gunners too, they have to face every day with that guilt.
Quote Reply
Re: Washington Post Articles on Tillman Friendly Fire Death [Johnny99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. There is no such thing as "friendly fire".

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply