Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

buying a road bike...
Quote | Reply
okay, a few questions on this. Right now, I only have the P2K, after selling my less than adequate road bike.

- is fit as critical with a road bike purchase as with a tri-bike purchase?

- are there any magical formulas like Slowman's for road bikes?

- Steel: how long will it last me? Are there quality steel bikes to be had for under $1,000? After reading the post a couple of weeks ago about steel bikes, I think this may be the best frame material for me to purchase for a long term bike.

- What considerations go into purchasing a road bike, outside of cost? (for tri, we condiser terrain, race types, etc.) I'd be using this bike for off season training in both hilly and flat conditions.

Thanks!!!
Quote Reply
Re: buying a road bike... [mjpwooo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Competitivecyclist.com has a darn good PDF file fitting form. As for good road bikes under a grand: check the Felt site at: feltracing.com, there are some amazing bikes for small dough there.

PS don't look at the fine rides at Competitive Cyclist too long, unless you can control, yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: buying a road bike... [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>As for good road bikes under a grand: check the Felt site

I agree the felts look like a fantastic value, but Mike was specifically asking about steel bikes under a grand, and those felts are aluminum. For a good steel frame bike under $1000, used may be the best bet I think.
Quote Reply
Re: buying a road bike... [pyker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It isn't quite $1000, but the Orbea Gavia is an awesome bike with good spec and resonable price. it is the new Zona Steel from Columbus and simply rides great.

check out www.orbea-usa.com

find the complete bikes and click on Gavia.

Enjoy,

SuperDave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Under 1000 dollars is running into a little bit too cheap to be buying new... as far as new goes, you should look at the 1200 dollar range... like the cervelo prodigy, or the lemond steel bikes (zurich I think) are very nice.

And yes fit is as important.

Road bikes are also very easy to buy used especially in the 55cm - 58cm range....

Also as with TT bikes, each company has their own weird way of measuring their bikes... should go to a good shop to get fitted, or at the very very least, look at the geometry measurements on the company's website... crucial.

try roadbikereview.com
Quote Reply
Steel lasts pretty long [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I would go with a steel ride with at least Ultegra level equipment, You can sometimes get killer deals on steel frames on the E-bay or local shop. I think the 1,5k $ is a better break point.
As far as lasting I have an old 1980 vintage Colnago that is still a pretty sweet ride except for the 7 speed downtube shifting. It has a zillion miles on it but still is a great ride. I really think Gerard's Super Prodigy is a great great bike at a pretty good price. Too bad I don't need another bike as it would be at my house if I did. Aloha G
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Supergo is having a sale on 2002 Bianchi bikes around your price point. Dan has reviewed these elsewhere on the site. I don't think they are allowing web sales on these bikes, but if you know someone in Cali . . .
Quote Reply